Armstrong 1953 Restored FIRST RIDE Page 7

Re: Armstrong 1953 Restored FIRST RIDE Page 5

The History Man":3gjlunf5 said:
Only fault was rear wheel pulled out of line by my awesome power on the climb up Adelstrop Hill.

And a bee got stuck under my helmet....

Painful! :mrgreen:

Love this build. Is it getting used now you have the Basso?

I love them side by side: after and before pictures...

Attachments

• Armstrong before.jpg
    Armstrong before.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 829
  • ARmstrong.jpg
    ARmstrong.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 829

It's my labour of love and will come out on high days and holidays for pootling retro rides. Basso will be 'proper' road bike. Thanks for the side by side pics. Love it

This is a good example classic with virtually all-original equipment. It was made the year I got my first bike, so I am familiar with the equipment on it, since it was normal available equipment when I was starting out. You have a good hand-made lightweight frame in Reynolds 531 db tubing, with early Nervex Professional lugwork, made when Armstrong were still a much-respected concern (they had been going since at least the 1920s), before they were swallowed up by the TI/Raleigh empire around 1956 and the name was degraded by being fitted to badge-engineered low end clunker roadsters, as Raleigh did with most of the firms they took over (Carltons produced at the special products division being an honourable exception).
Equipment includes - Williams C34 chainset (originally chromed); GB Coureur Hiduminium brakes; Brooks saddle; Cyclo Benelux gear (-the "clo" is the last 3 letters of Cyclo) 5 speed as was the latest kit then - they also did a rod-operated front changer and the Williams C34 could be had with double rings. You would need a longer bb axle for a double); Weinmann alloy rims (on possibly Bayliss-Wiley hubs ?); Bluemels mudguards (aka fenders in USA); stem, bars, seat pin and quill pedals also correct original. The little "ping" bell probably came a bit later, but I had one about 1957 so it would count as a kosher period owners retrofit (it has lost the hammer arm part from the actuating lever). Even the little cable-tidy is correct for the period.
The frame is certainly worth cleaning up and respraying as original - (try http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Armstrong_Cycles for transfers). Reynolds 531 is as tough as they come, and this frame looks in pretty good condition. The alloy equipment and the spokes have suffered from corrosion. The alloy may clean up. The spokes need to be junked for safety and aesthetic reasons, but chrome double butted was available at the time and modern chrome or stainless would look correct on a refit. The hubs will probably clean up and the hubs, bottom bracket and headset should be mechanically sound unless the cones were overtightened - they need dismantling, cleaning and re-greasing. The gear may well clean up (the little wire loop seen by the bottom of the arm on armweb5.jpg is the end of the tension spring, and should be rotated clockwise and into a slot on the end washer to increase spring tension). I would expect the freewheel to be original - probably a cyclo benelux item. This should clean up, and probably needs lubricating - be careful if dismantling, it is full of fiddly tiny parts and ball bearings. The opening lockring is left-hand thread by the way, though the freewheel screws right hand thread onto the hub.
Congratulations - you have a fairly rare and good quality frame (I have the previous model with the Ekla Sandcast lugs, which is now a bit rarer, but is performing good service built up into a bike with new equipment. These early lightweights were built to give excellent service for years, and their quality still shows. Have fun restoring it.

When I sent my post, I hadn't yet seen the end result! So apologies for being behind time with comments.

Pleased to see this machine back to original. Well done. Back in good condition as it would have been, and not overdone. A labour of love indeed.

Enjoy - you deserve it.

Thank you for your kind words. My Father in law was pleased to see it being used and restored sympathetically.

I recognise that town...the start and end of Hell!

lovely resto THM

it was definitely one of the only times i've ever had to pedal to physically get to the bottom of a hill and not only that but be more tired than i was at the top!

see you there ;)

How very apt that the hundredth post on this thread concludes the tale.

My Father In-law Les Brown reunited with his trusty steed. Seventy eight and sixty years young respectively.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 724
Back