Ugly San Andreas

My LBS where I bought it from has a great reputation, I bought my hardtail new from them and the service has been amazing. I know the bike was used but I did expect it to have had a service and I asked them if it needed anything and they said no. They should have give it a service, I'd have been happy to pay another £100 if it would have been in order. Seems like they are only interested in the bikes they have sold new and the race work they do.

The other shop I took it to isn't much better, I know they are busy but they want to keep my bike another few days. I just want to get out on the thing.
From the little that I have rode it (just using a few gears) the forks and shock feel alright, the front brake is very loud everytime you use it though and it feels like its made of cheese.

Thanks for all the advice, this place is great for a noob like me. I took a few pictures of the parts before I put the bike into the shop, I'll try to post some later or tomorrow.

Well I got it back from the shop at last, I have only been on a few short trips on it as I didn't like how the last owner left the seat stem so close to the rear shock. I gave my buddy the seat stem so he could do a nice cut job on it in his garage, I have just got it back so the bike is due a real test.

It feels easy to ride but a little clunky next to my brand new hardtail. I figure I'll have to get used to it as the hardtail is now sold and being collected this week, think I'd have rather sold the San An but I've had no takers, the hardtail sold its self. I'll buy some frame protectors tomorrow for where the cables rub and then hit the dirt on it I think :)

the rear shock is the standard one for that frame. don't think they were sold as complete bikes when this frame was new. looks a good 'un ride and enjoy! one thing i have found with the ones i own is they do need setting up just to suit you. had to swap bits around on my first one a lot until i was happy with it.

Well the frame protectors are on and the seat stem now looks much better and is no longer close to the rear shock.

The more I ride it (almost everyday) the more I like it :)
The front brake is terrible but everything else feels fine, I'll sell it on if I get the right offer but I don't mind if I keep it.

I didn't really try to sell it but it attracts a lot of interest where ever I take it.

Today I took it on a rough 5 mile course, the first section is all tarmac but the last stages are rough gravel all downhill. I really like how this thing behaves off-road, I even managed to ride it up long steep tarmac hills without any problems.

When I picked it up from its service there was a note saying "brakes need bedding in" they were not wrong, one good ride out and the front brake now bites hard and makes no stupid loud noise anymore. So I'm very happy with it now, think I'll be hitting the local trails often.

guy debord":2kl3p4an said:
Totoro":2kl3p4an said:
zetecmk2":2kl3p4an said:
how we love a san an!!! nice!!

I think I may feel a project coming along :facepalm:

I've seen some nice examples on the web

EDIT: So what about the parts then, am I going to have to Google everything or is somebody going to tell me what I can get away with keeping and what is junk?

Wash. Flite saddle. Get it dirty again
+1 very +1

I think its going to be a semi-project just getting the bike how I want it.

I have been hitting my local trails a lot over these last few weeks, mostly I really like how the bike performs but I have noticed a few problems.

The seat and stem feel like they need to be replaced, the seat is bolted tight into a good position but I can feel it moving around slightly. I think the thread is worn as it took lots of effort and several attempts to tighten enough to stop it moving around a lot.

The brakes still don't feel 100%, they is quite a bit of free play in the levers before they begin to brake and the brakes still fell soft.

Back