GT STS-2 build advice - Fork choice/options

Amp.

They match and balance perfectly with the mass of polished aluminium at the back.

The Noleens... hmmmm. :facepalm:

1, Amp
2,rockshox fsx carbon
3,pace

The amp ones look great,rock shox look good too as do the pace.

Am not feeling the noleens but bitd I never really liked them cosmetically.

Just my view of course!

I had been saving the noleens for the day I got an STS and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

The Amps were a surprise for sure and in balance do look the best, but will they unbalance the bike in terms if front and rear end travel?

The pace forks don't work for me as the alloy parts are slightly gold rather than silver and look a bit weedy.

FSX look surprisingly good, but I should try the actual fox forks I'd use just to see how they would look.

Now on to seat posts, would a carbon one be a good or bad idea? I don't want to stress the clamp assembly at all and wondered if carbon would not be as strong as needed? Ideally I want a controltech with the cross member inside the tube I think, but black or silver?

The AMPs are clearly the best looking at that stage of build, however once built up the overall look will change significantly and something else may be better.

Ps) Never the noleens on the STS, put them on the RTS.

Remember the rear has 100mm travel in its shortest setting and 120mm in the longest!
What travel are the Amps? Yes they look good but I don't remember them having much travel.
Judys look great as well, but I agree about the pace pro class. Mine is built up with the standard ones which are silver and look a lot better. Also, they may look weedy but are actually quite stiff and well matched at 100mm.
Sid and Fox look fine on there but aren't period to the frame, if that kind of thing bothers you (it does me. Nothing wrong with a hot rod build but just one modern ish component looks out of place).
Please dear god don't go with the last 2 photos. Nice forks in the right build, but this isn't it.

Carbon seatpost will be plenty strong enough, but the problem I found when trying these things is all the contrasting weaves and lacquers not looking quite right together. Black or silver is a difficult choice but I went with silver as this is what it came with originally, stem also. Keeping all the alloy parts silver ties it in together and helps the black plastic frame stand out.

I wouldn't stress about it though, a lot of the fun of these builds is chopping and changing until you're happy. You've got a nice frame as a building block and thats the most important thing.

Cheers, appreciate your input and has helped galvanise a few things. Forks will not be the only non-period parts as I think I will go m970, wheels are also going to be spinergy xyclones so it won't be the only item.

Amp forks are short travel so will go with the fox. It goes quite well as the grey/blue match the decals.

Agree about the weave. Bars have the same so fit well, but the silver stem sticks out a bit.

Planning on throwing it together and changing as needed as I spend too much time deliberating and never get to the end.

Hi everyone, I'm also looking to upgrade the forks on my gt sts 1999 but really stuck on what forks will fit??

I'm trying to get some decent forks that will fit this bike, around 140mm - 160mm travel, hopefully just double clamp... But must be able to run v brakes??

So some ideas on forks would be great chaps
:D
Thanks in advance

Back