24 Hour bike Races

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
If you've not done one yet...... why not???!!

Just back from doing the Twentyfour:Twelve race at Newnham Park in Plymouth (and the 650 mile drive back up to Scotland! :roll: ), and loved it, great atmosphere, great course, great people :D

Any other retro-bikers there??

I was in a team of 5 and on my Pace, plenty of people who passed me (and there were plenty who passed me!) commented on the bike as they went by :)
Oh, and had a few shouts of "Nutter!!" but I think that was because I was riding on rigid forks. :?

I did see a few other retro-bikes there too, a Raleigh Dyna-tech, and a Marin Hawk Hill to name two.

Oh, and the Rockets & Rascals tent had a couple of tasty retro Yeti's on display with 3dv anno bling and a Tioga Disk Drive wheel *drool....*

team 24 hour races are purely awesome, well they were when i did a few, haven't for a few years, but they are what mtb racing was in the 90's, all about fun for 95% of the field.

jimo746":v33zwm7w said:
If you've not done one yet...... why not???!!

Just back from doing the Twentyfour:Twelve race at Newnham Park in Plymouth (and the 650 mile drive back up to Scotland! :roll: ), and loved it, great atmosphere, great course, great people :D

Any other retro-bikers there??

I was in a team of 5 and on my Pace, plenty of people who passed me (and there were plenty who passed me!) commented on the bike as they went by :)
Oh, and had a few shouts of "Nutter!!" but I think that was because I was riding on rigid forks. :?

I did see a few other retro-bikes there too, a Raleigh Dyna-tech, and a Marin Hawk Hill to name two.

Oh, and the Rockets & Rascals tent had a couple of tasty retro Yeti's on display with 3dv anno bling and a Tioga Disk Drive wheel *drool....*

Me and jonnyboy666 were there too, but both riding modern :oops:
I did see you go through the transition a few times, and commented on the Pace.
How did your team get on?
It was my first time there too, and will deffo be back next year. A truly fantastic event!

A few of my pics here... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=265770

Hi, yeah I only went through the transition a few times anyway :oops: :LOL:
By some miracle I was actually the fastest on our team :shock: , we came 35th in the Open Male Team event, but we weren't taking it seriously... the guy doing his lap before me had to come and find me twice once he had done his lap, one time I was asleep, the other I was slurping a coffee :LOL: In starl contrast to the top teams who were ready and waiting in transition and actually ran to their bikes :shock: :LOL:

Was that you lot in the sumo suits?? :LOL:

Great atmosphere, it really did remind me of racing in the 90's, good to see there was beer & cake available too :)

jimo746":w89b8so2 said:
Hi, yeah I only went through the transition a few times anyway :oops: :LOL:
By some miracle I was actually the fastest on our team :shock: , we came 35th in the Open Male Team event, but we weren't taking it seriously... the guy doing his lap before me had to come and find me twice once he had done his lap, one time I was asleep, the other I was slurping a coffee :LOL: In starl contrast to the top teams who were ready and waiting in transition and actually ran to their bikes :shock: :LOL:

Was that you lot in the sumo suits?? :LOL:

Great atmosphere, it really did remind me of racing in the 90's, good to see there was beer & cake available too :)

35th?? Bloody pro's :LOL:
We were in the same category as you...and came 2nd from last :D
We'd have deffo won the beer and burger category though, had there been one.
We had a 12 hour 'rest' overnight, as 3 of our team had never raced before.
It was more of a social event for us, but we put some decent lap times in when we rode.
My fastest was 39 mins :D
The last lap was great. We all went out together with a stereo...blaring out Chas & Dave!!

makster":2z47z5xr said:
We'd have deffo won the beer and burger category though, had there been one.

We always made our own category :D . We were sponsored every year by Molson's Brewery, who would give us their 70' dia. inflatable event tent and 30 cases of beer for the weekend. The promoter wasn't impressed (the event's title sponsor was Labatt's Brewery).

45138_107501055973319_6620480_n.jpg

Back