1978 Ciocc San Cristobal - in progress

JWestland

Dirt Disciple
After hours on e-bay and getting parts, some of which are bust...

...nearly there. But I do need a titanium left pedal spindle (rare as hen's teeth) and some Super Record brake levers. Yes I know e-bay, but the price of them things lately... :(

Attachments

• Ciocc_Progress.jpg
    Ciocc_Progress.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,264
I feel your pain..... doing a ebay build of my 78 Alan, needs to be 70s and Italian going with Campagnolo Nuovo record, but I will be going Spanish and French with my wheels.Ebay seems to be the only way to put a vintage bike together, good luck with the parts you still need.

Attachments

• DSC02515.JPG small.JPG
    DSC02515.JPG small.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,199
I actually have a pair of 700c 32H Nisi wheels...but the hubs are shot. May repair them and put them on Ciocc, currently running Mavic.

E-bay.it may be your friend combined with Google Translate if you ask nice some people will ship.

70169d1373224105-ciocc_sancristobal_2013_07_07.jpg

Lovely little thing to ride!

I am tempted to put on the stitched leather wrap as I need to replace levers with Super Record anyway...

...that's for winter though!

Liking this very much indeed, peachy little bike. May be joining you in owning one of these - got one 'on order' and am hoping it comes to fruition in the next few weeks. Liking the Panto'd stem, and a very nice choice in components.

Tx :)
I thoroughly enjoy the little beastie, but I am not an expert on road bikes AT ALL.

Having said that, the spearpoint lugs and other details will no doubt please you and I found the frame/tubulars are very nice to ride on the potmarked roads in Belfast.

The frame seems compliant (I am not exactly a beast though) but doesn't beat you up, but then in 1978 a lot of races were probably done on sand roads/stoney roads and not on smooth tarmac, a ueber stiff frame would be out of place.

In fairness you can't go wrong with Classic Campagnolo...having said that some people still manage!

I've a pair of Nisi wheels but they need respoked/hub replaced, they will fit the era nicely. It's on GP4 atm.

That's turned out very nicely :) CIOCC and Campagnolo is right up there with the best.

I'm looking at getting my wheels respoked, the current ones seem to be pre stainless steel and are looking there age. I guess everything is in 'progress' but once they are done I think I'm finished :)

Tub sowed, that was a first. It's not too bad, getting basetape off was hardest bit. Copydex is good to glue basetape back on. Used the "it'll have to do" stitch, poked around to fit a tire boot on the inside and back on the road.

Getting better at pulling tubs back on. Front brake very squeaky but there's a bit of glue on the rim, that may be the cause.

70398d1373572264-ciocc_sancristobal_titanica.jpg

Better pic...guess the area?

Repainted seatpost (needs pics), put on a vintage Regal (too narrow! ARGH!) so hunting for a Concor/Brooks, put silver nylon tape on which looks good but is impractical as heck so need different tape. Velo Orange does a leather sleeve tape reproduction but no UK reseller that still has black.

So, it turns out it had a German club badge on it...seller trying to find it her forgot to put it in box.

Back