Why the 'chunky' suspension?

Danone

Devout Dirtbag
I recently swapped my 2006 era Rock Shox Recon forks, the first of these kind and what appears to be a change in width of Rock Shox forks from this period.

I upgraded to SID, they're only a year older than my previously owned Recon but the cosmetic changes are so obtuse one would think they're pre-millenia in design! This seems apparent on all the other Rock Shox models; no V brake bosses and Rock Shox also changed their look graphically, i like the design of the Rock Shox range of today but i prefer the classic Rock Shox style.

The SIDs seem to flex more, i'm unsure how i'll adjust to the trails having ridden forks of wider profile for so long! Were all suspension forks this narrow? Why did Rock Shox suddenly change their image?

Hi

The Recon was/is? an 'all mountain' fork or whatever the bike industry chose to call a trail bike. The RS SID is a lightweight race fork, the two are very different beasts. The Introduction of longer travel rear ends on bikes changed to a large degree how people rode (aimed) their bikes. That and the fact all the braking forces are through huge discs goes in some way to explaining larger diameter legs etc...

A change in ownership of RS by SRAM in 2002 may explain changes in the style of graphics, which I think are dreadful! SID's will flex alarmingly if you are used to a more 'go anywhere' fork, although I like the feel of a flexy fork, not sure why... I just do. A mate of mine took one of my bikes out for a spin and was speechless at how flexy the year 2000ish Judy fork was, as he rides a FOX something or other.

Most lightweight XC forks were as narrow as your SID, but if you think they are spindly, go back to the RS's of the early to mid 90's, you will be amazed just how things have grown bigger, stiffer and heavier to cope with the way people ride, and more importantly the longer travel, heavyweight, ugly bikes they are using.
The most important this of all is, are you having fun with the fork you have?

I do.... and that's all that really matters!

Hope this is of help to you?

al.

al":3870lhg5 said:
The Introduction of longer travel rear ends on bikes changed to a large degree how people rode (aimed) their bikes.

"Aimed" would be about right judging by some of the people you see at trail centres, hanging on for dear life as they blunder over everything :roll:

Barneyballbags":3ctadwm5 said:
al":3ctadwm5 said:
The Introduction of longer travel rear ends on bikes changed to a large degree how people rode (aimed) their bikes.

"Aimed" would be about right judging by some of the people you see at trail centres, hanging on for dear life as they blunder over everything :roll:

Technology has given very average riders the confidence to plough in to things we learnt through painful experience to avoid.

It's called progress.

al.

I bought the Recon believing it was an XC fork like the SID, at least that's what it's categorized as today but it does feel it's suited toward the more aggressive trail rider.

It's interesting you mention braking force of discs Al, as it was around the 2005/06 period disc brakes were a very common sight on cross country mountain bikes where fewer suspension models had V brake mounts which may explain the Rock Shox facelift.

Back