sept 1981 3 speed Raleigh bomber restoration

I never had one of these or even rode one either but i do remember them being popular BITD and it is good to see one of these cruisers restored to a lovely condition :cool: :cool: ..

darrenh":3c08u8zs said:
i'm reading between the lines, are you saying 1/4" bolts holding slender seat stays to chain stay, horizontal drop outs, blades butt welded to the crown on the forks, might not be very durable :LOL:

There's nae flys on you!

:LOL: :LOL:

few detail bits.

new croysdale hub cleaners installed !

bomber69.jpg

shrink wrap on rear brake stays so it don't scratch mi' paint

bomber70.jpg

retrofitted grifter front brake stays

bomber72.jpg

random shiny shot

bomber73.jpg

dug an old post office bike seat out of the shed just so i can have a go, doesn't look out of place tbh !

so now in full on 1970s geek spec with hub cleaners, kick stand and battery guzzling lights :p i'm off down the corner shop to get a quarter of rhubarb and custard

bomber68.jpg

!!! Drop that stem!!!

First sign of a discarded hubba bubba on the floor and you will be chewing concrete...............

saddle cover complete, big thanks to mum for knocking this copy up on her sewing machine (leatherette from dunelm mill) !

bomber74.jpg

bomber75.jpg

cracking job, even sewed the original piping back in.

I fed a new wire through the loop at the bottom and about 45 minutes of wrestling got me to this stage !

bomber79.jpg

then a few weeks back I found an ebay seller making repro handle bars in mandrel bent 304 stainless, much better than my shonky chrome painted repair.

bomber76.jpg

I swapped over the bars, and fitted the re-covered seat, its a bit taught in on the top arc but will stretch with a bum on it for a few hours worth :)

bomber78.jpg

Back