MTB MAPS SAT NAV via MOBILE PHOBE APP?

I use MotionX.

You can import waypoints, routes etc, and export them after, or you can plot a series of waypoints using several methods, including simply tapping on the screen.

You can display several types of map, or display the easy to read compass screen. The compass gives you distance and direction to your next waypoint with audible alert when you get close.

If you think data is an issue where you'll be riding, you can select an area on a map and download it to your phone before you go.

It can be set to update someone with position and progress every few minutes if you're riding the wilds alone. Handy should you have a big off and require help.

It does everything I want, but if you want true TomTom style sat nav for off road use, you're going to be waiting a long time.

null-8.png

null-9.png

null-10.png

null-11.png

null-12.png

null-13.png

null-17.png

null-16.png

GSB":8mv5kw1n said:
I use MotionX.
It does everything I want, but if you want true TomTom style sat nav for off road use, you're going to be waiting a long time.
null-12.png

MotionX that looks great I guess this is specific IPHONE and maybe ANDROID, and no mention of this APP on my WINDOWS PHONE. Perhaps from the website but a website address won't be as versatile as an APPLICATION.

Hence I looked at another popular bike route application, STRAVA, however this is specific to Garmin devices or Android mobile NOT Windows Phone. Since the STRAVA application is not available on Windows Mobile Phone, I don't all of it's features, hence I have some questions:

Q1). Once you record a route, can you follow it later to Sat Nav your way, as if you didn't know the way already?

Q2). If STRAVA has this feature, can it also Record Routes OFFROAD, that is somewhere without roads/streets?

Q3). In other words can STRAVA be used as OFFROAD SAT NAV for Mountain Bike from an existing map/route of yours, or somebody elses?

Afterall if you can't follow OffRoad Sat Nav directions from own routes/maps/rides, then how can you follow other ppl's rides

Another thing i like about Motion X, that i forgot to mention, is you can export your track files via email, and then import them to other devices to follow, or open them up in google earth, which lends a nicely heroic perspective to your ascents;
883523d62992875595c48710538b81db.jpg

a90e976a5aa459074adfed23f33cdef4.jpg

I've just had a quick look at strava, and it does seem to hold a large number of ride routes already uploaded by users that you can follow, including off road sections.

Ok folks, think we're going into too much detail here! Obviously some APPs only work with certain MOBILES/SPEEDOS/DEVICES.
Personnely I enough bike accessories & mobiles as it is, so I ain't buying another device just for the purpose of offroad sat nav!
What am I going to do?
Drive to well known ride,
park car near to riding area such as North Yorkshire Moors named ride,
save my location where I parked my,
then with my Windows Phone Record Route with MapMyRide App http://www.mapmyride.com
then ride to known area,
ride round then when gets dark or had enough, return to car,
if don't know/recognise the area/the way to go, then check direction to head in from my saved location! That's it, save route & share on FaceBook!

Who needs a Garmin £90 & Iphone £400!
I've got a decent SPEEDO gd enuff for trip distance & instant/average/max speed & I've got a decent windows MOBILE for route tracking, with the MapMyRide APP!

Back