Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

I knew it was one of those all along ;) – very nice!
Invest that little bit more and you get something that really works and does the job nicely.

Here are some piccies, should have been weeding but it was such a lovely evening tonight!

Attachments

• IMGP3284.JPG
    IMGP3284.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMGP3289.JPG
    IMGP3289.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMGP3288.JPG
    IMGP3288.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMGP3300.JPG
    IMGP3300.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 169
Bloody hell, we have potatoes! Piccies to follow...or just have a look at your local supermarket and you will get the idea :) The tops had started to die back so we checked the dates and they had been in for 15 weeks...so...a quick poke with the fork and there they are, amazing!

Plumbed a 1000 litre IBC in last week and put guttering up on the sheds. One night of heavy rain later and 300 litres had been collected! And one of the sheds had only half the roof plumbed in. I'm actually looking at the rain as i type and thinking great!!

Loads of other stuff is growing well...potato salad tomorrow, and given the amount we planted, for the next 20 years.

Had a guided walk round the kitchen gardens of C19th Myddelton House, Enfield. This was home to plantsman E.A.Bowles. Got some pics which I might post...
Just watching RHS Tatty 'all on the iPlayer.
I feel the evening's thunderous downpour may have saved a few hours of watering duty.
Gonna check the spuds tomorrow. Hoping we'll have enough for the potato salad basis of future lunch boxes. A small few tomatoes are starting to ripen up and the peppers are growing – hopefully, we'll still get some more hot sunny days.

groovyblueshed":dpm6517x said:
Had a guided walk round the kitchen gardens of C19th Myddelton House, Enfield. This was home to plantsman E.A.Bowles. Got some pics which I might post...
Just watching RHS Tatty 'all on the iPlayer.
I feel the evening's thunderous downpour may have saved a few hours of watering duty.
Gonna check the spuds tomorrow. Hoping we'll have enough for the potato salad basis of future lunch boxes. A small few tomatoes are starting to ripen up and the peppers are growing – hopefully, we'll still get some more hot sunny days.

Potato frenzy!!

Having dug these up and looked over the remaining ridges i have realised that we have rather a lot of spuds to eat. Lovely earlies though. Very soft and almost creamy texture. We had beetroot, spuds, cabbage from a neighbour and spring onions on Sunday. It was a very satisfying experience...

Looking forward to your photos Howard.

Attachments

• IMGP3314.JPG
    IMGP3314.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 124
Away for a week and how everything has grown. Plants and weeds now of Triffid proportions!

We are currently (currantly?) processing around ten kilos of black currants. This is only around half the crop.

Very maggoty peas though.

had fresh Ribena last night with thanks to the previous owner of my patch, :) got lots of long grass to clear and soil to dig. im thinking its a bit to late in the year to start anything. any ideas?

Clear it now. Perhaps consider nuking it with glyphosphate if there are areas of couch or similar. Otherwise, dig and hand weed.

Then you'll just be in time to plant Autumn varieties of:

Broad beans
Onions
Shallots
Garlic

If you want something to eat this season, consider fast growing turnips or similar.

Iwasgoodonce":1zphr272 said:
Clear it now. Perhaps consider nuking it with glyphosphate if there are areas of couch or similar. Otherwise, dig and hand weed.

Glyphosphate is my favourite gardening tool !

mmm im not to keen on chemicals , ill have to read up on it.
I have a shed that was left behind, I live just round the corner from the allotment and I wont be using it for tools so ive thought about growing mushrooms in it. something else to read up on. anyone have any experience?

Back