Improved braking? Block types suitable ?

The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all. Want to keep calipers but improve braking. Do I change blocks like for like or can I use a more modern style of pad. Either way pease can I have advice and recommendations re manufacturers/types that will improve things?

Will be stripped and cleaned when I get the new blocks.

Thanks as always THM (small steps)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 344
Assuming your rims are straight & decent condition then decent brake blocks are a solid investment - Swisstop are very decent, not cheap though. The standard issue Shimano blocks are also good. Some of the Clarks stuff is good value for money. I'd look for something with a brake shoe then you only need buy replacement pads next time around. Shoes are also a lot better to line up properly with the rims.

Long ones are MTB? You'll need standard ones else the forks will get in the way! Looking at the photo you posted it looks tight - what measurement have you got from the brake bolt centre back top the fork?

Shouldn't be an issue then, any standard road shoe will do. Old school blocks (Campag) are about 4cm total length, newer types are 5 to 5.5cm. The stand off from the fork will depend on dual or 3-pivot calipers. There's some Ultegra Shoes & Pads on Wiggle that are decent VFM.

I've measured 28mm from bolt centre to fork front on one of mine and that's with modern Shimano shoes on dual pivot calipers so I wouldn't envisage any problems.

Back