v brake brake shoes

bulliporker

Retro Guru
just bought a orange gringo and the brakes have different shoes front and back one has the pin in centre of brake shoes the other is offset which is correct and whats the best make of replacement pads to buy , as only had bikes before with hope discs, or magura hydraulic brakes so v brakes are all new to me

Hi,
i highly recommend 'koolstop' pads, they are not cheap, but are available in different grades for different conditions, they even make them for ceramic rims..
Plus they are kind to the rim surface....., stopping power is brilliant.

Have fun.

Regards.
Martin

First time for me with V's to - After many recomendations I have just got Kool Stop salmons ready for the Airborne :D

DSC08455_zps5736bbe8.jpg

WD :D

I highly rate the Swisstop pads, followed closely by the Koolstop ones, they are kind of pricey though.

Brands like Fibrax or Clarks are perfectly good (and more wallet friendly).

I'd try and get the "cartridge" type where you get the pad holders and then slide the pads into them, makes it much simpler when you need to renew the pads.

thanks for the advice but what about the offset pin is this right or wrong what should be fitted , the front shoes are aztec and have replaceable pads and have offset pins , the rears are no name with pin in centre of shoe

My Shimano and Kool Stop both had offset pins as per photo (Shimano holders & Kool Stop pads) :D

WD :D

Hi again,

The off set pins on koolstop pads fror instance usually mean they are directional..
I use koolstop eagle 2's on my bike, on the rear brakes i have the shortest part facing the rear. although this is the wrong way around 'direction wise' it makes the brake shoe flex into the rim.
the brake shoes with the pin in the middle are normal and have no direction...

Below is a link to the type i use : the shortest end usually faces forward..

Hope this helps you .. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kool-Stop-Eag ... 20d5723df2

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
bulliporker":3qdlp3xc said:
thanks for the advice but what about the offset pin is this right or wrong what should be fitted , the front shoes are aztec and have replaceable pads and have offset pins , the rears are no name with pin in centre of shoe
The offset pin ones are better, and the shorter bit is designed to be at the front. Cheaper ones have the pin half way along to reduce production costs, as left and right can be made the same.

Back