1992 GT Karakoram

A quick update, managed to find some wheels for this kara,
230 tib's on xt parra rear and bullseye front with blue nips,
still waiting to get the stem sorted but it does'nt stop me riding it,

Also just recieved a 92 richter frame to fill the space from my recently departed 91 kara,

Wondering how you found working with the old stem - I have got my hands on a 1992 Pantera. With the original stem probably rusted in place. Not sure if it's relevant but would you have any advice on getting it off. (So I can work on the headset either new bearings or replacement.)

Some photos of the aluminium stopper/bolt now rattling around between base of the Orange stem and the bottom of the steerer tube.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevermindt ... 824799740/

Again not sure if this is an area of your expertise but am guessing it might be someones:

1) Guessing my bike would have had a Deore LX rear derailleur. Anyway know this for sure?
2) The front brakes are V Brakes which means they can't be original parts as I think these kicked off in about 1996. The rear break is an EXAGE mountain caliper brake.
3) I bought this bike along with two others and a load of bent wheels and old parts for £20 locally. I suspect the Araya silver aluminium rims with quick release are the most likely original wheelset.

It seems that the only stuff I can find online about the bike indicates Suntour components but then some people mention Euro spec was Shimano and I think a lot of the LX parts on the bike were original. Sorry to bump your thread!

Have you tried wd40? Leave upside down for a while and soak it in oil, there are other threads with unseizing ideas on the forum too,
other than that not really sure.

Lee I didn't realise you didn't have the correct stem, I've got one in the shed off that scrap frame I told you about.

Back