Tom Davies Vintage Track Bike

Super Record

Retro Newbie
Nearly finished the track bike that I began building with my eldest son Tom. It was for Tom’s 14th Birthday a couple of months back, so we over ran on the time schedule a little! It’s been a bit of a slow project because of restricted contact due to an extremely unfair family Court judgement, but we started off well and Tom helped with the stripping down of the original old bike, which was a 1950’s Phillips racer , Most of the components were too far gone to restore but the frame tubes (which are surprisingly light) were kept along with the very basic lugs and modified to create what is essentially a recycled frame. The headset and bottom bracket are also original.

I’ve had to work on the frame alone for Tom over the past few months because I’ve not seen him since March  But we’ve kept in touch via the phone and email and I’ve tried to build the bike up exactly as he described. Its turned out really well and I’ve been greatly inspired to finish it because it’s something that I began to build with Tom and I’m very much hoping that we can do another project together soon and on a more regular basis. I really loved the short time that I spent with him getting the project underway. Hope you like it Tom!

Spec and photos below:

Frame: Tom Davies special - 531 straight gauge tubing salvaged from 1950’s Phillips road frame utilising standard modified lugs & bottom bracket. Frame tubes re-set to competition angles with short wheelbase (985mm) and 2 degree forward fall on top-tube. Dropouts front and rear TWJD, designed and manufactured at Jacob Engineering exclusively with and for Tom Davies. Frame size now 22” from centre of bottom bracket to top of seat tube.
Custom ‘gravity fed’ spray paintwork by Mark Davies. Three stage finish– Rouge Lucifier ATX Pearl Basecoat with part translucent HB570 red lacquer as a secondary top pearl dye.

Headset: Phillips. New ‘Blue Diamond’ ball races.

Wheels: Campagnolo Super Record large flange rear hub, Gipiemme ‘Sprint’ front hub laced to Mavic deep profile rim (rear ) with Swiss Stainless Steel spokes.

Single gear hub – for use with fixed or single speed freewheel (supplied as ‘fixed with L/H lock-ring.

Tyres: Michelin – Dynamic Classic 700c x 21C

Chainset & Cranks. Modified & lightened.

Pedals: SR style alloy competition Pista quill type.

Bottom Bracket: Phillps with new EN36C shaft.

Front Brake: Campagnolo Super Record short reach side pull.

Stem: SR short reach

Bars: Cinelli profile road bars, + genuine Italian Ambrosio Bike Ribon (white)

Gear Ratio: 2.73 : 1 – Single Fixed hub.

Saddle: Selle - San Marco Regal

Seat post: Gipiemme – Slant-Fluted micro-adjustable

Chain: 3/32” FSC chain & quick-link

Attachments

• image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 1,468
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1,466
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 1,466
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 1,466
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 1,466
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,466
  • image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 1,466
  • image013.jpg
    image013.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 1,466
Now those are some seriously relaxed angles. Looks like you are running a suicide gear on a road hub, Right? If so make sure to always run a bail out brake.

Nice job on the refurb.

Blimey that's a lot of work if I read the post right.. :)

Pic of the fork crown would be nice :)

Shaun

Best of luck with the family situation, can't be nice not seeing him since March :)

@lewisfoto... Yes it's running a fixed gear on a much modified road hub with a left threaded lock ring. We will run a 'bail out' brake as well... Don't worry :) If Tom doesn't get on with the fixed gear then he can always change to a single freewheel, but he was really keen to have a fixed wheel... :) Thanks for the comments !

Thanks Shaun... Yes it was quite a lot of work but enjoyable ! I'll put some photos of the fork crown up a little later. I was restricted to 8 pics on the initial post but hopefully I can add more in a reply.,
Thanks for the kind comments! :)

Blimey that's a lot of work if I read the post right.. :)

Pic of the fork crown would be nice :)

Shaun

Best of luck with the family situation, can't be nice not seeing him since March :)

Pic of the fork crown Shaun.... Yes - hoping to see my kids again soon but I'll probably have to go back into court to get a contact order variation.... Sadly its a question of money and time... Such is life... if you're a Father and want to fight to see your children in a broken relationship then you have to pay :( Its a difficult choice.... my eldest will soon be 16 and by then he will choose what he wants to do.... another court case could drag out on for 12 months or more anyway..... even longer if I instruct solicitors!

Frame work was lengthy.... I would not normally choose to spend such time on a frame that many would choose to throw away - but it was more a case of showing Tom what is possible. My main work in life includes the manufacture and restoration of Historic Racing Cars - Brabham's, Cooper's, Lister's etc.... so I'm used to Nickel Bronze brazing and silver soldering, etc - but in this case I used the TIG instead with a steel filler rod that was best suited to the S355 material that I profiled the rear drop-outs from. Will probably fit some earlier wheels with tubs at some stage.

I have a very beautiful Ephgrave bike that I've recently found and that one deserves more traditional restoration, but first I need to try to establish its date of birth as someone in the past has ground off the frame number ;( I think its around the mid 1950's - stunning quality of work! I might even post it on here at some stage but for now I have too much work to do with the cars!

Attachments

• image017.jpg
    image017.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 1,370
Top class job, nice decals as well :) You've also taught a valuable lesson in that we don't have to live in a throw away society. Personal input into a project teaches a good approach to life so although you may not have the quantity of time you'd like with your son, at least you have quality.

Maybe not the right place to post pics, but I'd love to see the Brabham's, Cooper's, Lister's :cool:

Many thanks for the kind words ... Yes it's great to have been able to use a bike that would otherwise have been thrown away. I know the angles are a bit relaxed, but in general the result is very pleasing. You're right about quality time... I shared some of that with Tom for sure.
I designed the decals for him so that they at least give a vintage flavour to the bike.

I'd prefer not to put work photos up here re the cars but by all means do PM me and ill mail you a few. Clients can be a little touchy about their car photos being posted online ;)

Amazing selection of bike photos you have... Have you restored them all?

Back