Mountain Biking Footwear.

Tried them in eBay search,none alas though!

The later ones had 2 like football studs near the front (toe) for better grip the following year I think (oh you already mentioned that!) :oops:

Lasted a couple of decades, still going strong.
Nike Pooh bahs. May not apply if you cant find a nice Nos set of the bay though, id imagaine someone elses second hand smellies might not be too appealing.

Great support, great in the winter, solid sole, with little fatigue, obviously I have other shoes, but these are quite fitting when riding Retro.

:cool:

Attachments

• early%2090s%20vintage%20Nike%20Pooh%20BAHS_____lmao.JPG
    early%2090s%20vintage%20Nike%20Pooh%20BAHS_____lmao.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 617
  • its%20always%20raining.JPG
    its%20always%20raining.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 617
Make: Sidi
Model: Eagle 6 Carbon SRS
Price: £240 (I paid £160 for a 2 year out of date pair in 2010)
Manufacturer's Website: http://sidi.it/eng/scheda.php?macro=1&id=27
They are expensive, but resole kits and spare buckles are available. These particular ones have been resoled once.

IMGP4278_zpsa0efe141.jpg

These were the most uncomfortable shoes I have ever worn. Nearly crippled me when I put them back on so to be 'proper retro' for a ride.

Axo ATS shoes

sdc10527_w800_h600_167.jpg

^^ yeah sidi eagle 6's are awesome...but not sure they make them any more as getting them seems to be very hard. Wore a pair from 98 till well still wearing them, just tried to replace them and ended up with some dragon 3's, but I keep wearing the eagles as they are better.

but for my retro ish ofering

Nike Cairns
$US220, got for $120 (orange pair), $80 (red pair)
Great shoe, a bit narrow but very comfy otherwise both on and off the bike...also they are very low with a wide tread so very stable for walking on rocks as opposed to my nike yuha or sidi.
Have velcro, ratchet and laces.
Only issue, if anyone is wondering, the orange one kick butt, wore them from '00 till 08 when I got my sidis and wore them still a bit then, fianlly last year the sole started commign off, but some super glue seems to have fixed it (for now, I'm sure there is better than super glue, shoe goo maybe).
The red ones...no, don't go there, they fell apart on first ride. a mate wnet through 2 pair of red ones quicky as well. Red ones bad, orange goo, and I dream of finding some blue ones one day.

To anyone out there with poo bahs, how do they fit, way back when I ordered a pair in my current size (8.5-9) an 8.5 turned up and I could not even fit in the shoe, let alone wear them.

Merrel Cordura & GoreTex hiking boots; big socks; foot straps.
More recently, I have reverted to my early 80s BMX choice: Shimano DX-style platform pedals & Vans on everything.

I always wanted to get the new ones, but money and the fact they were pink means I didn't.

As for modern ones, a few years old Aldi or lidl are excellent general shoes, clip in well, fairly good grip and comfy. Soles are flexible compared to the high end stuff but for a 10/20 miles pootle off road over bumps they are fine.
Also comfy if you're wearing all day.
I say both shops as styles change and one shop didn't fit me, but I cannot remember which.

Shimano MT52 boots.
Comfy, stiff but not as comfy as the old m110/200's.
Good ankle support.
Cold though in the chilly weather.
Enough expansion for thin summer socks to sealskin thermals.
Shoe laces not very strong as it recently snapped.
Not really a winter boot, though I do use them. See chilly,
grip is poor on the slippery or loose stuff. It is quite a flat sole really.

Clean up easily with hosepipe, shower etc..

mtbdave":3g2yq3hg said:
Tried them in eBay search,none alas though!

The later ones had 2 like football studs near the front (toe) for better grip the following year I think (oh you already mentioned that!) :oops:

Specialized Tahoe , pretty comfortable to begin with for my wide feet but i find the sole too flexi so after a while it makes feet ache , could just be coz im heavy :oops:
The best shoes i ever owned were some blue and yellow Sidi dominators BITD , just perfect .

Paul .

Shimano Shoes Circa 1993/4. I can't remember which model these are, but they were among the cheapest shoes back in the day and were all I could afford (poor student). I used them for proper rides, which they actually just about coped with. However, they offered little protection from the elements and were painful to use in winter/spring. They were SPD shoes, and they clipped in and out very easily. I used to get sore feet after an hour or so, the sole of the shoe flexed a bit too much and the arches of my feet felt a little brusied.

il_fullxfull.83119390.jpg

I'm one of those weird people.... 5.10 Freeriders.

p4pb5222193.jpg

I ride with SPDs for road and CX, but I just prefer the feeling of sticky rubber jammed onto a dozen pins for MTB. Also, it's really hard to get SPD shoes in size 12/13.

Back