Mountain Biking Footwear.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
All

This thread all about your footwear and experiences with different makes and models of shoes or boots.

Please list in your replies where applicable:

Make.
Model.
Price.
Link to manufacturer's website (If possible).
Pictures (If Possible).
Comments and general feedback.

Can I suggest a 'Star Rating' of five. Five stars being good, one star being not so good etc.

I'm looking at winter boots right now and want something both warm and waterproof with a cleat fitting.

Please do not make your posts specific to my needs as it is not my intention to make this all about me and my wanting some winter boots. Lets try and make this a true 'General Footwear' thread.

Regards

Trebz

Make. Specialized
Model. Expert MTB
Price. Shop around for prices - beware of last years models being sold at a discount
Link to manufacturer's website. http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftr/shoes/mtb-shoes
Pictures.
6111-20_l.jpg

Comments and general feedback: Good for gentlemen with wide feet. Carbon insert in sole really stiffens things up - helps if you suffer with problems with hot-foot syndrome and if shoes are too flexy. Sizing comes up a bit small so order one size bigger than normal.

In contrast to above I would say sizing is spot on to a touch generous. Lets say roomy then. Had several pairs of those and they are generally good but the next model up has better fastenings. Velcro loses its hook after a couple of years .

As a general recommendation I'd always go for Shimano footwear. I still have a pair of M110 shoes from 1993 that I could still wear if they weren't quite so blue and yellow.

Several other shoes from other manufacturers including, Nike, North-Wave and 661 have all fallen apart within one or two years whereas I never had any issues with any of the shoes I've had from Shimano.

They also fit my feet very well.

9344_shimano_m088_spd_shoes_black.jpg

Shimano SH-M088 MTB shoe
2013 model

Very comfy to walk in, cleat just barely scrapes the ground a tad when walking but not enough to be a problem. Wide fit available which is what I have but could be just a teeny bit wider really. Ratchet is excellent for fine adjustments and a bargain of a shoe too. Received many a positive review. I really like them and they are my first spd shoe.

I'm seeing some Modern shoes in here ?

Back to Retro Shoes

Make : Shimano
Model: M110 or M200 (I forget the number)
Price : Fecking expensive when I were but pre-GCSE (can find out)
Manufacturer's website : http://www.shimano.com
Pictures : (pinched of t'internet)
DSCF5511.jpg

DSCF5507.jpg

Comments and general feedback :
Top part constantly came away from main sole plate and needed regluing
Stiff as hell, yet very comfy
Grip decent in all weathers, could do with extra front grip going up hills (rectified in a later model with front spikes M210)
Bit slipper on wet lino
Could wear around school if needed and great on the paper round. Ran 100m to 1500m in PE no problem
Eventually rotted away after not wearing them for quite some time. Probably would have cleaned up though.
Top Purchase and well worth it.

Ben your bang on m110,there's a pair on eBay.com now

Size 9 us size.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You know what I might had had the Orange soles ones with two Velcro straps (think they're the M200, above M110)
Will need to find out as it'll bug me, wonder if me old man remembers.

Those are exactly the one's I still have Ben. They were about £75 when new, plus the same again for the pedals.
As you say; expensive for a 17 year old school kid.

EDIT: The original M100 grey disco slippers were superseded by the higher end M200 which had the orange bits on it.
These both appear in the 1992 catalogue: --> http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... mano92.pdf

The M110 arrived in 1993 as a more affordable model.

Handy picture here:
file.php

M200 - top left
m110 - bottom left

Back