Family bikes - Pug + Townsend which is now a Gazelle Mixte!

Re: 2 bikes for the family - Peugeot Sportive + Townsend R L

Thanks, in fairness it still took too long and i am almost distraught now as i popped into the garage to check the brakes worked with the wheels - and they don't!!!!! I measured the drop when i bought them and i have no idea why they seem to have shrunk!!! Another problem that i didn't need!!!!

I am off to bed to cry on my pillow!!!

Richard

p.s. booo hoooo booooooo hoooooooooooo wailllllllllllllllllll

Sunday update -

The bike is finished - well, almost!! As with everything about this build i have yet another headache. The bike originally had 24'' wheels - i cleaned the rims serviced the hubs etc and got new tyres and tubes. When i fitted them to the bike i realised that they were small - they look small in the frame and more to my annoyance the brakes did not fit - i had deep drop brakes but not deep enough.

A visit to my LBS was successful and i came home with a NOS set of 26'' wheels and a smile. They did not have tyres for the wheels thoguh. Yesterday i spent some time polishing these wheels and checking the fit etc on the bike. Everything was fine and i visited Halfords and purchased 2 tyres and a couple of other bits.

When the tyres are on the wheels the wheels will not fit in the frame - not enough clearance. I returned to Halfords and found that the tyres were the smallest they had in the 26'' size at 40 deep. I have been in contact with another LBS who might have something suitable but i am still looking at other options.

A worst case scenario would mean buying another set of rims and i have posted about 650c rims to see if they would be an option.

Once the wheels are sorted i should be finished after a little setting up etc..

The nightmare continues......

Richard

I have a set of 650c wheels without quick releases you can have for free if they fit. Good enough condition. Just need quick releases and freewheel.....

Stephen,

I am waiting for measurements to see if they will fit correctly - thanks for the kind offer, i may take you up on it.

Richard

Sorry Richard it looks like my wheels arnt 650c but 600c????

Heres the pics see if you can make it out.

You are still welcome to them...

Stephen

Attachments

• IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 393

looks like my wheels arnt 650c but 600c
No, those are 600A, not 600C....541mm. This is pretty much interchangeable with 540mm 24x1 3/4", mostly a wheelchair size these days, but loads of choice.

600c is ETRTO 520mm. Turns up on very low pro TT and track bikes, and Airnimal folding bikes.

Richard, give us a decent measurement from the dropout/axle to the centreline of the brake block and we can tell you which wheels will fit. Take this measurement and double it, then compare to the available ETRTO numbers...507/520/540/559/571/584/590/622mm etc.

All the best,

Good evening,

Thanks for all the help (again!). Stephen, thanks for the wheel offer, i may take you up on it dependent on the sizing, and tyre availability.

The sizes -

Distance from centre of rear dropout to brakes (close to lowest point) - 28cm
Distance from centre of rear dropout to brakes (close to highest point) - 29cm (possibly 29.5)

Frame clearance for wheels, measured from dropout to the brake bridge - 32cm. The clearance to the BB is 33cm. This measurement is the total amount of space i have to work with - wheels with inflated tyres fitted.

Thanks all,

Richard

Unusual update -

Amazingly my wife fell off the bike yesterday. I had it on my old turbo trainer frame and she sat on it to get the seat height and bars sorted. She sat back and the forks lifted off the turbo and she went over backwards with the bike and turbo on top of her. It was quite odd to see it and i wish i had a video of it as i am sure Harry Hill would pay me £250 for it. When she hit the ground here head hit my cantilever tool box and flattened the cantilever sections.

I was able to get the bike off her and i repaired the turbo frame (with my trusty hammer). In future, i will ensure that the frames are firmly attached to the frame. Luckily, there was no damage top the frame - i was sweating quite a bit until i discovered that no damage had been done.

Oh, my wife was not too badly injured.

Richard

OK, Richard,

Good to hear that your wife's OK.. after all this work, at least she might still want to ride the bike ;)

The good news is that it doesn't look like anything too weird...
Looks like it was built for 26x1"/650C/571mm

Going by the axle to brake length:
571mm/2 = 285.5mm. Nicely in the middle of the brake adjustment.

Going by the bridge clearance:
571+ (2x23mm tyre, typically) = 617mm total diameter, divide by 2 to give radius = 308mm giving 12mm of tyre clearance under the bridge.

You do still have the option of going for the slightly smaller MTB 26" wheels at 559mm. This would let you fit tyres up to around 28-30mm fat, but you would need to source some deeper drop 49-59mm drop brakes to make up for the 12mm smaller diameter rims.

All the best,

Dan,

Thanks for clearing up my confusion, i have to make one call about possible tyres for the current wheels, if that fails i will try and source 650c's.

Richard

Back