1992 GT Pantera AL none flip flop stem & steerer tube advice

nevermindthebikeshop

Dirt Disciple
Really crisp currently doing up (or trying to return to oem condition) a 1992 Pantera. With the original stem probably rusted in place. Wondering how you found working with the old stem - Not sure if it's relevant but would you have any advice on getting it off. (So I can work on the headset either new bearings or replacement.)

Some photos of the aluminium stopper/bolt now rattling around between base of the Orange stem and the bottom of the steerer tube.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevermindt ... 824799740/

Again not sure if this is an area of your expertise but am guessing it might be someones:

1) Guessing my bike would have had a Deore LX rear derailleur. Anyway know this for sure?
2) The front brakes are V Brakes which means they can't be original parts as I think these kicked off in about 1996. The rear break is an EXAGE mountain caliper brake.
3) I bought this bike along with two others and a load of bent wheels and old parts for £20 locally. I suspect the Araya silver aluminium rims with quick release are the most likely original wheelset.

It seems that the only stuff I can find online about the bike indicates Suntour components but then some people mention Euro spec was Shimano and I think a lot of the LX parts on the bike were original. Sorry to bump your thread!

Re: 1992 GT Pantera AL none flip flop stem & steerer tube ad

The photo link isn't working....very interested to see pics as I have just bought one too see below....think mine is a 91/2???

I have never lost a battle against a stuck stem using a few dosages of plusgas (much better than wd40). The rear mech on mine isn't original but I bet LX for sure. The front brakes are exage lx ones(I have a spare pair I could sell?):D

Attachments

• rsz_20130726_131737.jpg
    rsz_20130726_131737.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 421
Back