Brake cables ..... left or right ?

I always used to set up brakes for the road with the right hand lever working the front brake.......

TT bikes generally used the shortest uncrossed cabling either under or over the bars.......right lever for the front brake with campag and the like.......left lever for the front brake with weinmann as the callipers were the other way round.

The theory was that for TT bikes the brakes were for show and only used to slow the bike down for the turn :D

Shaun

Right = front. If you've ever had them the wrong way round and swapped between your motorbike and your bicycle, it can lead to accidents. Plus Americans put front on left, so it must be wrong...

On my road bike

Left = Rear
Right = front

On my Mountain Bike, right is the rear brake, but that's because I only ride a rear brake on that bike :p

Front left
Rear Right
That way the cable routing is correct for modern brakes circa 1970's onwards.
its a No Brainer, unless you are going to tell me 99.9% of the pro riders have got it wrong.
make your mountain bike the same.

Seems I have opened a debate :)

I do seem to recal road bikes back in th 80's being front left and rear right but moden bikes my mtb inculded are the other way. Where as a lot of the readers bikes on here are left front right rear also

The front-right convention was invented by the Nazis to allow the rider to give a fascist salute while still having control of the bike via the rear brake.

I've always had left to front, right to rear on all my bikes. It means if I do an emergency stop I'm not going over the handlebars

Back