Campag Chorus 8 or 9 speed

jaguarking

Dirt Disciple
Hi Looking at getting a Chorus rear mech onto my 90s colnago build, my wheels have 9 speed cassette already so I'm wondering how to check if a second hand Chorus Mech is 9 speed as well , some advertised say 8 speed, but what is the difference ?? I will be using Campag C Record friction shifters, (ie not indexing) ?? Any advice welcome ?

My experience with Chorus rear mechs is that pretty much every Chorus unit after the classic 88-92 A-B version work with 9-sp. Not sure if friction shifters will give you the cable you need to cover all 9 speeds though.

HI Agent orange, There is a chorus mech lists on the forum, listed as 7 speed but you already commented ok for 8 or 9 speed, That was the one I was considering, assume that would be OK, I could change my cassette to 8 speed to match .

Hi, can't see which one you mean, copy the link on this thread and let's have a look. Doesn't seem much point in downgrading from 9 to 8 speed just to suit your mech unless of course you absolutely have to fit downtube shifters. I used 9sp Ergo shifters on my riders and I will never go back.

Pretty much anything will work. I just stopped using a 25yo Record 7 speed mech with 9 speed Ergos, simply because it wore out. I replaced it with an 8spd version I've had for some years waiting for the inevitable. Gears work perfectly. I did also use a Nuovo Record mech with 8spd ergos in the past...

I also used the 7spd mech during my brief flirtation with 10spd. Found 10spd finicky and sensitive to perfect adj, bought a new 10 spd specific mech thinking the mech might not be up to it, only to discover the specific mech no better. eBayed the 10 spd levers etc and went back to 9.

Back