Cyclist v Cyclist collision (on road)

Watching your other videos, it looks like you've used the footage to get bad road users to apologise after naming and shaming them. Not a bad outcome.

Do you ever worry that by looking for instances of ill behaviour that you find more than your fair share?

It's a conundrum I often (well, sometimes) think about - ever since watching Kung Fu Panda: that bit where Shifu accelerates his fate by trying to stop it happening (duck messenger's feather, etc).

Incidentally, what is a good affordable helmet cam? Is it possible to match video to GPS via a Strava type app? I quite fancy capturing a few of my regular rides that way.

In saying you appear to be on a mission I merely reflect that few others bother to go to such lengths.

At least one instance I feel you overreact a little as a Fiat goes through a mini roundabout. Some elderly drivers or otherwise do drive very slowly and react slowly.

You were still well off the roundabout before they entered it. They perhaps would not expect a cyclist to be at speed.

As far as the original incident goes, you had plenty of time to start braking but didn't seem to do so.

Going into a roundabout you should have been super cautious already, and seeing there was a crossing just after it you could have anticipated traffic across the road, albeit not a cyclist firing out.

But you do appear to have had time to reduce speed enough to avoid serious injury.

It looks like they saw you, thought you would brake, but you steamed into them instead.

As someone who watches Kung Fu Panda with my son on almost a weekly basis the reference to Shifu and fate really made me chuckle Richard, thank you. It's not so much a case of 'looking for trouble' I feel, most of these videos are taken on my commute to/from work and thereby the same incidents would have occurred had I had a camera on the bike or not, whether it is seen by just my own eyes or a camera does not change the outcome.

I know and acknowledge that my cycling is not 100% perfect, and the mistaken interpretation that I'm a hell bent critic of everyone is an easy yet mistaken one to jump to. The wide angle lens of the camera and the wind noise in paarticular give a false impression of a higher speed than the reality of the situations. Ref the Fiat incident I agree I could indeed have reacted differently but then again its simoly not possible to look into every vehicle and make allowance for everyones age and abilty.

In relation to this particular incident I genuinely believe I could not have done anything differently, I slowed from 30 down to approx 15/20mph when approaching and crossing the roundabout, slowing further still when I saw the first youth and steered towards the rear of his bike, the second cyclist appearing into view and not looking until that last split second gave me no reaction time at all and nowhere to go as I was already avoiding the first cyclist. If there are any reasonable expectations of anyone in this situation it is on those crossing the road to look properly before entering the carriageway, something which they plainly did not do.

Having reread my post it does not come off as I meant it to. (I had had a few, quelle surprise!)

What I was attempting to do was cast an eye looking for fault, in reference to Dr Bonds point about finding more than your fair share of bad behaviour I was going to suggest you will also have your behaviour scrutinised much more than normal. Hence my attempt to do that, purely as an exercise.

I assumed you were on a road bike and assumed you kept your head down approaching the hazards, where I would always adopt an upright position approaching any hazard. Looking again I think you were upright?

I would take a life saver before going into a roundabout and move out a little in the road approaching a roundabout. This asserts your presence much more to traffic coming onto the roundabout or approaching it with 'right of way' who might use their speed to 'beat you to the punch'. When I saw the pedestrian/? crossing there on the other side, this again put it in mind to take a central lane position. It lets you see more over the hedgerow and lets others see you better before the shit hits the fan.

There was also a bus stop also I think, so I would be slowing down anyway.

It is easy for me to say isn't it?

Did not mean to suggest it was your fault, it clearly was not. Just trying to make objective criticism.

That crossing should be sorted to make it much more visible. Is it a cycle path?

Just glad you are ok, and happy to hear you have insurance.

Sorry for my earlier post being a bit knobbish.

retrocomeback":s1itxkaa said:
its simoly not possible to look into every vehicle and make allowance for everyones age and abilty

Totally agree, you need to judge somewhat by the way the vehicle was approaching the roundabout. Always expect people to pull out on you like that, it happens so often. They equally well could have been a young one on the way home from the pub or just had a spliff in the park.

:)

retrocomeback":3vcx1615 said:
Not too dissimilar FMJ, in fact you'd probably enjoy and understand a higher calibre of conversation with such inanimate objects :LOL:

Ha! Reminds me of the running joke about a little town near here called Dunnville that the local family tree is spider web. Glad to hear you're (relatively) ok.

I hope you do manage to identify the culprits, even if it does just give them a wee scare that they can be tracked rather than any specific outcome.

I'm a bit confused by some of the earlier posts though regarding a cyclists recognition as a vehicle. If a cyclist isn't regarded as a vehicle on the road in the event of a collision how can it be regarded as a vehicle with respect to road traffic violations?

If you are not a vehicle when someone runs you down how can you suddenly become one if you run a red light? :???:

A bicycle is not a motor vehicle, and therefore a collision involving two bike isn't a recordable or reportable rtc.

The laws as applicable bicycles are either specific to bikes, such as the oft quoted furious cycling, or non compliance offences such as ignoring obligatory roaf signs, contravening red lights etc.

Highlandsflyer, no apology necessary mate, my reply to you was overly defensive, another incident on my YouTube Channel got a chap fired recently (not my intention at all) and tbh I've been defending myself where I simply shouldn't have to and being overly sensitive about it. As such I am now on a much needed glamping (camping) holiday in the south west, nursing my wounds and indeed my pride with plenty of the local scrumpy! 3G is a bit patchy so please excuse me if I'm not around for the next few days :cool:

Your accident is particularly bad luck. On the slow mo, it seems as though both crossers saw you but carried on regardless, in realtime they didn't have time to stop. Based on the apparent speed and indicated cost of repairs I'm assuming you were on a modern road bike?

When I'm going at those sorts of speeds I tend to take a defensive road position, and move over (left) to let traffic past when it's safe for them to overtake if they wish. If you'd been in the middle of the road & not the gutter you may have a) be seen & have seen them from further afar thus avoid the collision & b) been able to swerve right around the first crosser.

Unfortunately, I'd have to advise not pursuing the issue, what's the old bill going to do? Teach them the green cross code? What you don't want is to get too deeply involved so the highly respectable characters don't get your address.

Back