Merckx Corsa 753

That's interesting as Reynolds were adamant that 753 should never be plated as it causes hydrogen embrittlement. I know some builders ignored this advice but I don't think Merckx would have.

was Peugeot the only manufacturer permitted to chrome 753......I remember reading something about that?

SWijland":2hcgnf39 said:
I wasn't aware Merckx actually did a 753 Corsa Extra?..

+1 on this, and as mentioned 753 should not be plated.after looking at it in a bit more detail ,the whole rear end has been plated including up to the brake bridge and front mech braze on. my guess is that it is columbus slx or tsx

SWijland":my780i32 said:
I wasn't aware Merckx actually did a 753 Corsa Extra?..
I didn't think so either..? it would be good if someone could confirm this.

Wasn't the problem with chroming 753 more about it being deemed too thin to polish, prior to plating?

The Corsa Extra was generally SLX , X = Xtra, Corsa =SL
I have seen a couple of TSX's but never a 753. If you look at the Corsa Extra sticker it looks original but looks like its been masked (badly) and then the frames been sprayed. A 90's Merckx would also have the original paint sticker on it from the factory would it not?

Jamie

There's never been anything like Corsa 753... EMC produced Pro 753 (84-86), Corsa Extra 753 (86-8:cool:, Grand Prix (88-90) and again Corsa Extra 753 (91-94). EMC 753 were not chrome plated (except for very special customs) until 1990, then it was already happening...

Back