1990 yeti ultimate 'new recent photo's added'.

redfern1950s

Retro Guru
Hello.

Ive just recently dug my bike out of retirement .

I had an accident in 93, braking my back ! ending my cycling days, That is till now !!

Its a californian made yeti ultimate..
Ive owned this from new, bought as a frame set back in 1990 from harry halls in manchester, graham hall got it in as a special order for me after purchasing a dodgy funk frame that was not straight.
I used to race it back in the day wearing yeti's full team strip, i didnt win any, but they where brilliant times back then and i miss it so much..
Most of the spec on this bike dates to 1993, only the wheels,skewers and stem date to 1990.
As i said ive just dug it out , and only the head set, seat post needed to be replaced, but after riding it a few times i think the rims have had their day, the side walls are about to fail.

Spec as follows :

Frame : original paint, mostly original graphics.
Forks : accutrax, original to the frame set, originally yellow ( answer supplied the stickers ).
Stem : FTW, original to the frame set, originally yellow ( home made stickers ).
Head set : shimano xt 1.1/4 evolution , NOS . fitted in 2013.
Bars : syncros shotgun ( black with shim ).
Bar ends : control tech team issue. fitted in 93.
Levers : vintage cnc Avid silver bodies with blue anodized levers. fitted in 2013.
Shifters : Shimano xt thumbies. original to bike 1990.
Grips : red yeti hardcore. fitted in 93
Cables : grey xtr. fitted in 93.
Front brakes : Avid cantilevers 'tri align' in blue ( koolstop pads ). fitted in 93.
Rear brakes : Scott perderson se. ( koolstop pads ). fitted in 91.
Hangers : Ringle ban the bomb in blue. fitted in 93.
Saddle : flite was originally grey in 91, changed to black in 97. (came of a marin).
Post : Syncros titanium 26.8. fitted in 2012. replacing the first generation alloy syncros post.
Clamp : Yeti bmx type. original to frame set ( custom blue anodizing ).
Crank set : CQP 177mm, pace 46,36 & onza 24 buzz saw. fitted in 93. "cook bros up till 93".
B/B : Cook bros sealed. fitted in 93. "shimano xt till 93".
Pedals : tioga surefoot V's. zefal toe clips/straps. fitted in 91.
Chain : sedis atb z. fitted in 93.
Front mech : shimano xt. original to first build in 1990.
Rear mech : shimano xt. short cage with blue ano bullseye bottom jockey wheel. fitted in 93.
Wheels : Mavic paris dakar rims, shimano xt hubs. original tofirst build in 1990.
Tyres : ritchey red z max or irc v claws ( z max are 20 years old ).
Skewers : ringle cam twists..., purchased before there was a uk importer, not sure of date.
Bottle cages : ringle H2O... the red one is a recent purchase.

Most of the stickers are original on the frame, its only the ice axe one that replaces the original. the easton sticker is home made.

Sorry about the quality of these pics. the bike as is now, and me racing back in the day.

1990 yeti ultimate by redfern1950s, on Flickr

yeti ultimate old school racing by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Re: my 1990 yeti ultimate

Welcome back
Looking forward to the pics.

As far as the components that your are trying to source:
If you utilize the auction watch feature (above) you should be able to source the correct period parts for your Ultimate.
A quick check turned up a Syncros & Controltech Postin 26.8mm & there was also a 1.25" XTR Headset that was affordably priced (I assumed that since your current components are from 1993, then first generation XTR would be appropriate).

There should be plenty of wheelsets to choose from also.

If Ebays's not your thing then try your local co-op or Bike Recyclery.

Also, not sure if you aware but you can now obtain period looking skinwall 26 tires.
Firstflight Bikes offers newly reproduced Ritcheys and Panaracers and closer to you there are the Charge Splashbacks (Perhaps a Member here can point you to them)

Please be sure to get some pictures posted.

EDIT-Found your Photos. Nice ride.
If you were to (Gasp) upgrade with newer parts. Chris King makes the sotto voce threaded headset now in 1.25 that will provide you with a somewhat non distracting period look.
Although I would get it back to your exact specs from 1990-1993 if it were up to me.

Welcome to Retrobike.

Obviously you got a great bike but the one question that comes to my mind is how does it feel to be back on top of things?
Looking at your pics you have found some other things to do with your time. I like your T2 Bully.
I'm asking because i got back into building bikes which i did when i was young because some servere injuries kept me from competing at the basketball court. Still struggling to get back cause age doesn't seem to help in that regard but i have deep faith that i will be back and even stronger that i was. So i would be nice to hear your story.

Can't believe the photo of you after you broke your back (stood up straight and smiling!) And you rode another 20 miles :shock:

Hi again,
Many thanks for the welcome to this forum.

I will be sorting my bike out next week, mainly giving it a good clean and service..
Ive some new wheels coming in the post some time this week, cant wait, then i will take a load of pics...
So far ive been unable to load pics, and can only give a link to my flickr account..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75074049@N ... ?details=1

CTK":3czk1h41 said:
Can't believe the photo of you after you broke your back (stood up straight and smiling!) And you rode another 20 miles :shock:

Hi,
Ive had that comment a lot over the years, when people see that photo..
i should have listened to my friends that day, and not carried on..., i still freak out to this day when i think about what happened..
Shock and adrenalin masked the pain.

JSO":2w1qir45 said:
Welcome back
Looking forward to the pics.

As far as the components that your are trying to source:
If you utilize the auction watch feature (above) you should be able to source the correct period parts for your Ultimate.
A quick check turned up a Syncros & Controltech Postin 26.8mm & there was also a 1.25" XTR Headset that was affordably priced (I assumed that since your current components are from 1993, then first generation XTR would be appropriate).

There should be plenty of wheelsets to choose from also.

If Ebays's not your thing then try your local co-op or Bike Recyclery.

Also, not sure if you aware but you can now obtain period looking skinwall 26 tires.
Firstflight Bikes offers newly reproduced Ritcheys and Panaracers and closer to you there are the Charge Splashbacks (Perhaps a Member here can point you to them)

Please be sure to get some pictures posted.

EDIT-Found your Photos. Nice ride.
If you were to (Gasp) upgrade with newer parts. Chris King makes the sotto voce threaded headset now in 1.25 that will provide you with a somewhat non distracting period look.
Although I would get it back to your exact specs from 1990-1993 if it were up to me.

Hello,
Hope you are well.
Many thanks for the welcome back, and many thanks for the help and info on sorting my bike out, ive noticed one thing, because i have been out of the scene for so long ;20 years' i cant believe how much things have changed, mainly the cost of replacing old style parts, especially 'skinwall' tyres, i watched a pair of used 'red z max' sell on ebay the other day for over £100......, madness... i still have my red z's, but im using irc v claws at the mo.
I used have a bike shop back in the early 90's, i wish i had stocked up ! never mind, how could i have known... :-(
Ive managed to locate a set of wheels now, they where originally listed on this forum, thats one search over, they are mavic rims on nos xt'dx hubs (130 rear), although the rims are not period correct, they are the best ive been able to find, untill i come across some nos 'm7cd'.
I will keep you posted, new pics to follow soon..
Speak soon.
And, again...,many thanks.

Hi, nice bit of nostalgia, I have NOS MA40 mtb rims and a NOS 1 1/4 XTII headset, I'd be interested in a deal with the clothing if any good to you

Kind Regards, Miles

Back