Educate me on the wonders of 29ers!

Joe of Loath":27q0d21q said:
If you're looking for XL, you won't find one second hand. At least, I didn't this time last year.

I think I could go large (19-20") not XL as despite my 6ft 4 ness I have a long torso and arms and more like a 32" leg!! so top tube length is more of a consideration although a long stem has got me outta that problem before!

It's a case of what you can find, then.

Alternatively you could build up your favourite flavour of on-one with a mixture of new and used parts. Someone I know managed to make one for about £450 by cutting a few corners.

wookiee":b8enq1rn said:
Joe of Loath":b8enq1rn said:
If you're looking for XL, you won't find one second hand. At least, I didn't this time last year.

I think I could go large (19-20") not XL as despite my 6ft 4 ness I have a long torso and arms and more like a 32" leg!! so top tube length is more of a consideration although a long stem has got me outta that problem before!

...another reason why I have been called Wookiee for so many years! Even my wife says I am like a silver back gorilla!

Joe of Loath":2mlawlw6 said:
It's a case of what you can find, then.

Alternatively you could build up your favourite flavour of on-one with a mixture of new and used parts. Someone I know managed to make one for about £450 by cutting a few corners.

Impressive...I am focusing on a good frame and forks and wheels the lighter the better I can upgrade the mechs shifters as I get more cash

Would love a carbon frame but equally not sure about the weigh limits for riders of carbon bikes!! :LOL:

Joe of Loath":34o893ae said:
Trek Cobia and spend the change on a wheelset. Very capable bike, Gary Fisher did some magic with that geometry.

yeah i love my trek cobia, its the best thing i've ever purchased.

My budget was also 1k, after months of research my shortlist was these 3 29ers:

kona kahuna
giant talon
trek cobia

Check them out, i recently had a look at the kona kahuna on the chain reactions website, it does look a good bike too.

However from my experience with the trek cobia, its absolutely fantastic.

b_hazard@hotmail.com":2pkqaxp3 said:
Joe of Loath":2pkqaxp3 said:
Trek Cobia and spend the change on a wheelset. Very capable bike, Gary Fisher did some magic with that geometry.

yeah i love my trek cobia, its the best thing i've ever purchased.

My budget was also 1k, after months of research my shortlist was these 3 29ers:

kona kahuna
giant talon
trek cobia

Check them out, i recently had a look at the kona kahuna on the chain reactions website, it does look a good bike too.

However from my experience with the trek cobia, its absolutely fantastic.

hmm is that 1k new price?

I have only ever bought a new bike back in 1991! Its been used since then and I have always got better value for money! So thats the way I think I will go with the 29er...a £1700 bike for more like £1200....

Back