GT STS-2 build advice - Fork choice/options

Re: GT STS-2 build advice/inspiration please

NeilM":2hehl80n said:
Less than that, depending on traffic.
Neil has furnished me with the lovely STS frame pictured. I spent a bit of time polishing the thermoplastic and alu rear end and it has come up a treat, though a little more on the alu would not hurt. Slapped on a chris king headset in black as well. I also accidentally knocked out one of the inner cable, grrrr, that was frustrating putting that back in, and will need to play it really safe when fitting new cables.

So, what to do with the build? Wheels will be spinergy xyclones courtesy of Peter, so when they arrive I would like to have the rest done.

Frame has a silver seat post so will stick with that and bung on a saddle from the collection, so what do we think on a silver control-tech or syncros stem? Bars will be either profile carbon (they actually look like the thermo plastic finish), or controltech in black.

Groupset is the quandary - do I take the easy option and fit m952 (as I have some not in use right now), or should I remove the M970 from my team RTS and bolt that on (pic of the RTS below for reference).

I could also go as far as going M770 shifters and mechs, m750 cranks, or more or less all m739.

Forks will probably be taken from the RTS as well (Fox Talas RLC), but whatever happens to the RTS, it will either get the m952 if I strip it, or may even get restored back to m900.

What do we think people, which direction should I take?

Attachments

• IMG_1048.JPG
    IMG_1048.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 421

Rampage":2rc7ln8u said:
M739 would suit it better, the gray of XTR wouldn't look right IMHO.

I dunno, I'm sucker for era correct parts...well as much as possible.

This is my recent build....all XTR except the rear derailerur

20130614_151901_zpse0317f03.jpg

good luck with the build!

Cheers. M952 is the easiest option, but I think m970 will look better. In all honesty, aside from the mechs, it looks pretty similar to m952 aside from being black/silver instead of grey/blue. M952 would help tie in the forks though.

I have mocked up a few forks in the short amount o spare time I've had, and a set of SIDS look a bit weedy at the front end, the Noleen carbon forks I have look good, but after sitting the frame on some fox forks (not the set I plan to use), they look beefier and sit better with the frame construction/burlyness than those mentioned. A few others to try - x-fly I'm black/silver, pace rc36 an for a crack, lawwill leaders, but I don't think any of them will carry it off as well as the fox forks. I wish my ox forks were black as it would help the groupset decision a bit, but the sts decals are blue and grey, so work to some degree (well I'm telling myself that anyway).

The frame is not light, so any nod to weight saving is going to help.

Oh, I should have mentioned I like what you've done with yours, colour scheme works a treat!

How's it coming Ian?

I have finally finished piss ars... erm I mean carefully selecting parts for the DeKerf, and I'm now on the hunt for parts.

NeilM":2ijs1ta5 said:
How's it coming Ian?

I have finally finished piss ars... erm I mean carefully selecting parts for the DeKerf, and I'm now on the hunt for parts.
Mostly polishing the back end and other parts to make it shiny, though I did manage to get rid of the mark from the front of the top tube, which I wasn't expecting.

Took a few snaps of various forms for comment, will post up later once I've had time to get them off the phone.

I wa thinkin the noleens would look best, but in a strange twist, I think a set of fox forx or strangely, some amp forks look the best from the options I have.

ishaw":3cwo8hhs said:
I did manage to get rid of the mark from the front of the top tube, which I wasn't expecting.
That's cool. It has been there since day 1 and I assumed it was just something I would always have to live with, nicely done.

I looked at Fournales forks a few times, and bought a set of Girvins at one point that I rebuilt and polished (they do buff up well), so I would have thought the Noleens would be a good choice; but until you have all the bits in front of you, you really don't know how it's going to look as a whole.

I'm fascinated to see how it all works out.

Right, aside from the Marzocchis which I haven't tried yet, what do people think of the following options? The Fox forks I intend to use aren't the ones pictured, they are dark grey, but it saved having to take some off a bike.

Personally I think the Fox forks look better as they are beefier, but I was genuinely surprised at how well the Amps in carbon looked, as I was expecting the Noleens to look better??

Let me know what you think, as between tonight and tomorrow night I hope to hang it all together in waiting for the wheels to arrive on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Attachments

• IMG_1994.JPG
    IMG_1994.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_1993.JPG
    IMG_1993.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_1992.JPG
    IMG_1992.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_1991.JPG
    IMG_1991.JPG