A DeKerf with a past.

Soooooo nice, yep, built it ¡!

I´ve just finished my 1998 Generation, a truly sweet ride:

This looks like being another mighty fine steel bike to add to your enviable stable!
I assume it's had the rear canti hanger removed at some point? I thought the older frames had one on the wishbone?

iveto1983":2hnlwmop said:
This looks like being another mighty fine steel bike to add to your enviable stable!
I assume it's had the rear canti hanger removed at some point? I thought the older frames had one on the wishbone?

As it's a 94 I think you must be right. Every picture I have seen shows a rear canti guide.

There is no trace of it that I can see, so whoever took it off did a good job, and as I intend to build it up with Cane Creek v brakes, it makes no odds.

I am going to have to stop after this one, as never mind my cup, my garage definitely runneth over.

Looks familiar!
My old frame, I believe?

Yes, I think so, although it was yellow at the time.

I've seen your for sale thread, but any other background you can add would be great.

I bought it from Nick and gave it the green colour..
P1090259.JPG

Foto-ASCZKWDB.jpg

MynameisCasper":zregu497 said:
I bought it from Nick and gave it the green colour..
Crikey! It's well travelled then.

So it was yellow and single speed, then green and single speed, then a mock up that never quite hit the trail then in a box in Ian's garage and now the poor soul has ended up with me. :twisted:

What colour was it before it was yellow?

Current mock up has it with USE silver seatpost, Charge Spoon saddle (not the brown one), Kore silver stem and black bars.

The seatpost and saddle are staying, but I'm now on the hunt for bars and stem. Typically, there was a set of USE Atom carbon bars on the bay last week, and I did not buy them. :facepalm: Not sure about the stem, I have an I-Beam here, but it's not quite right. The Kore stem looks OK, possibly a bit chunky, Syncros... a bit formulaic so I'll have to look around and see what takes my fancy.

Wheels are Campag Kappa rims in grey on Shimano 105 silver hubs. A slightly strange combination that work extremely well.

Shifters will be Gripshift Attack 9 x 3, f & R mechs M900, unless I can find an M910 long cage rear mech, although the 900 copes with 9 speed pretty well, provided the chain length is spot on.

Brakes will be Cane Creek Direct Curve (either 3 or 5 whichever looks better) levers will be Avid SD, unless I bump into some M739 XT levers, which I think look really smart.

Tyres at present are Schwalbe Nobby Nic's, which I'm giving another try, although the last time I rode on them, I ended up with a dislocated collar bone. :facepalm:

NeilM":vkt7v2ft said:
What colour was it before it was yellow?

:

British Racing Green!
I bought it off Ebay from a fella locally, who had been using it to tootle along the towpath to college.
It was a really thick green powdercoat, concealing some nasty dents on the top tube.
I sent it off to Bob Jackson who fitted a new top tube (supposedly in 853).
I wasn't overly happy with their workmanship and had my money refunded by Visa!
I built it up singlespeed for ragging around the woods, and I was hooked! It rode beautifully!
It was a size too small for me, so bought a Solitaire off Gearless in Seattle.
I'm still on the lookout for another early Dekerf; there really isn't anything else like them!

Thanks for that, nice to know a little of the past.

As soon as it's rideable I will take it on my ten mile test track, which will allow me to compare it to the one or two other steel mtb's I own. :oops:

Back