C drive disc space getting full

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Computor keeps saying c drive getting full..........we have moved loads of stuff over to an external hard drive and done clean ups and defrag............my wife says computors just fill up over time and you will have to put stuff over what we want to keep and wipe it to get space............is that bullshit ?

They only fill up if you are downloading stuff or putting pictures on it, recording TV etc. Other wise they keep themselves pretty empty if it's just day to day stuff.

The Windows folder tends to grow over time, but you'd need to have a really small HDD to get it to fill it entirely with system-related data.
Vista and Win7 have a tendency to clog hard drive space with system restore data. I tend to get rid of that, which can save a few gigabytes.

A format and re-install may help, but a run with CCleaner can work miracles too. Just make sure you don't do it without proper supervision if you're not familiar with it.

Also, as Jono said, make sure you actually move your personal stuff rather than copying it. Otherwise it will still take up your hard drive space.

Clear your browsing history and your 'Temp' folder; most people never do and like Topsy, they grow and grow!

Also, set your Windows property's to 'Best performance...' The default setting is 'Let Windows choose...' so you get all the silly effects like a shadow on the cursor etc that you just do not need but Microsoft thinks 'look' better :roll:

Raging_Bulls":14fx4kg9 said:
Also, as Jono said, make sure you actually move your personal stuff rather than copying it. Otherwise it will still take up your hard drive space.

Ye - you wouldn't believe how many times I have run into that one...

Sorry if it sounded a little flippant - wasn't meant to be. I generally try to rule out the obvious stuff before getting on to the complicated/worrying stuff (in most things - not just computers) - takes seconds and sorts out a surprising number of problems :)

TBH I am not really up on windows, but Windows 7/8 don't seem to be too bad with clogging up stuff - mind you, I *may have turned off the restore stuff when we got the computer - was quite a while ago.

Disc drives are pretty monsterously sized these days..

You can probably still get TreeSize - I think it has a free version - it will analyse your disc ahnd show you graphically what is taking up the space.

141 GB used 295 megabytes left..............theres an option to compress the disc, is this good or does it have complications ?

noticed a lot of ntdatuser files in my wifes user account taking up quite a bit......ok to delete these ?.........just read that you should not, but there are as lot and they use alot too.........

Back