• iscervo's 1992 Muddy Fox Alu Xtr Twinshock

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Rodrigues' 1989 Saracen Kili Flyer Comp

Votes: 22 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: BoTM July '13 - Muddy Fox vs Orange vs Saracen - Vote No

hollister":22ad0v6c said:
3 cheers for the mediocre, without them we'd all still be riding mediocre bikes!!

Wait...

The elevated bikes are handbuilt and are pretty special - true, a lot of the Muddy Foxes and the Oranges are just a bit, not dull but, not outstanding either. I still dont get the fuss about some of the Oranges of old as 'British' or not, they just didnt do it for me at the time. Revisiting the bikes later didnt change much.

But, as these brands have their roots in the UK, it is only fair that they have their moment as there are a lot of fans. Paperound money awash, hoovering up the lower end models with aspirations for the top end bikes.

Claud Butler could have been thrown in, plenty of 'heritage', plenty of good quality steel but also plenty of dross. Aside from Orange, all these brands suffered badly with 'Wallmart' bikes dragging what little reputation had been garnered from earlier bikes into the mud with utter shite.

And Oranges reputation didn't last forever, their creakingly archaic suspension designs having been largely shunned by modern buyers. These days they're trading off the remnants of their image from 2 decades ago.

legrandefromage":1vgm0w24 said:
hollister":1vgm0w24 said:
3 cheers for the mediocre, without them we'd all still be riding mediocre bikes!!

Wait...

The elevated bikes are handbuilt and are pretty special - true, a lot of the Muddy Foxes and the Oranges are just a bit, not dull but, not outstanding either. I still dont get the fuss about some of the Oranges of old as 'British' or not, they just didnt do it for me at the time. Revisiting the bikes later didnt change much.

But, as these brands have their roots in the UK, it is only fair that they have their moment as there are a lot of fans. Paperound money awash, hoovering up the lower end models with aspirations for the top end bikes.

Claud Butler could have been thrown in, plenty of 'heritage', plenty of good quality steel but also plenty of dross. Aside from Orange, all these brands suffered badly with 'Wallmart' bikes dragging what little reputation had been garnered from earlier bikes into the mud with utter shite.
Sounds like you're voting for elitism

Ductape":39qychjy said:
drcarlos":39qychjy said:
Ductape":39qychjy said:
It is interestig that with all the Mountain bikes built in Asia, there has never been a big following for any specific asian Mtb builder (person not company).
Different culture.

Muddyfox and Orange were both designed and distributed in the the UK, much like Specialized and Marin are designed in the US and built in the far east, I think they both have a decent following.

Carl.

The brand yes but I was implying specifically a persons name.

BRIDGESTONE!! (although not just his shop or anything...)

hollister":fj7fnfci said:
Sounds like you're voting for elitism

Why not?

Christ, I've ridden so many dogs (bicycles!) I can be as fussy as I like with any potential purchases - just a shame budget never matches aspirations.

* I'll add that I fear blowing money on new only to wind up disappointed - For instance I bought a new tourer only to find the exact same model a few months later at a Police auction for about 12% of my original purchase price. I once blew nearly £2k on a Cannondale only to be bitterly disappointed, same with £1800 on a Marin.

My next purchase, if I ever get the chance, will go deep into MTB history and will probably be my last.

I thought that there would be something for everyone to like this month as some sweet fillet brazing on show along with generous lashings of nostalgia and even some mid 80s bikes too. Obviously the wrong sort of fillet brazing though and the older bikes are too MOR with the wrong branding.

Lots of predictable comments too - perhaps we should try Troll of the Month for the next Special, would be interesting to see who posts "not voting this month as can't see anything I like".

Something for everyone?

That's an odd comment

What's MOR?

Are you voting elitist too?

Chopper1192":1rmw5ay4 said:
And Oranges reputation didn't last forever, their creakingly archaic suspension designs having been largely shunned by modern buyers. These days they're trading off the remnants of their image from 2 decades ago.

You really do talk some bollox Chopper, do you open your eyes when out and about? I do and see as many Oranges about as any other brand. :facepalm:

We get that you don't like the suspension but to say they're 'largely shunned by modern buyers' is rubbish.

Orange 5 sells by the bucket load almost at any price you like.

hollister":nlwszal9 said:
Something for everyone?

That's an odd comment

What's MOR?

Are you voting elitist too?

middle of the road, just like BBC Radio 2, Adult orientated durge.

Back