Titanium post ---> aluminium frame...

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
What do I need to know, in order for them not to become welded together?

Grease/lubrication is obvious, but which?

matthew71":3llg9eju said:
copper slip i think is the stuff you need
Nah, that's just nonsense, you need the drool from a unicorn ;)

TBH I have used anti-sieze or copper slip without any issues.

You should use Ti-prep really; yes it looks very much like Coppaslip but it has some inhibitor or other added that gives it an almost 'glassy' sheen?

I'm sure one of the metallurgists on here will expand on that if they're not still fed up after the 'grease your spindle' bun fight :LOL:

Michelin Titanium anti- seize
It's what i use. Cant remember the cost but ive had the tub ages and its only 1/2 used, i should also say i fair smother it on. If youve ever had to undo an un prepped BB cut off a ti frame :LOL:
The tub size is 100grams (though all i can find at the mo is the 1kg tub :?
http://www.damourbicycles.com/product_i ... ts_id=5027

What is this copperslip or coppaslip you speak of :? Are you confusing it with Copaslip ? :p

t if they're not still fed up after the 'grease your spindle' bun fight
Which we won by the way ;)

However, there is an anti copaslip for Ti prep argument if you want to go into it :D

I got the park stuff, it's like copper slip in texture and 'metaliciness', but its silver rather than copper colour - not sure what the metal / additive is that's in there ?

You can see it under the crown race :

DSC06484.jpg

WD :D

dyna-ti":3i8ao9vs said:
t if they're not still fed up after the 'grease your spindle' bun fight
Which we won by the way ;)

Yeah damn right we did and i've got more buns waiting if they come back for more! :twisted:

As grease is - in this application - just there to form a protective layer and a barrier between materials (rather than for it's friction reduction properties under whatever specific conditions), does it really matter what type of grease? It would seem reasonable to me that almost any kind of petroleum or synthetic based grease intended for mechanical engineering applications will perform that function. Or is there a genuine / convincing reason why it has to be a certain kind of grease? Has anyone here actually had a Ti post seize on them because they greased it well but with the 'wrong' kind of grease?

Grease is a feeble anti-sieze. Copper slip (one of the trade names for which is Copaslip) is copper granules in a suspension of grease, and it is the copper that inhibits the galling effect that occurs between metals.

Grease without copper can act as an anti-sieze only if you keep a thin layer of grease between the two metals to keep them apart - which in the case of a tight-fitting seat post is unlikely to be the case.

As I understand it, there isn't much difference between Ti Prep and other forms of copper slip, it is just a brand name targeting ti owners.

Back