Cyclist v Cyclist collision (on road)

Good morning,

I am not sure if this helps -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causing_bo ... us_driving

It seems a 'better' offence for the Police to investigate, IMHO Criminal Damage is stretching it a bit, but if it is investigated as CD it may be the case that a prosecution for Furious Cycling could result (although, again, i think unlikely).

Have you insurance - CTC or household insurance - it is worth checking with your insurers to see if you have cover.

Although it is odd, the legal definition of an accident does not include cyclist vs cyclist, or indeed cyclist vs anything (except MPV) - from memory it begins "owing to the presence of a mechanically powered vehicle on a road " - it seems that cyclists fall into a grey area and perhaps this is the reason that there is no mandatory requirement for insurance for cyclists. This leaves the only option as a civil claim which is not an easy one.

Here is the legislation - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170

Richard

That is most helpful Richard, thank you. The household insurers have indicated they will meet the costs of repairs to my bike if required, so at least that is covered.

Great stuff, at least you get some form of monetary compensation. I am presuming they won't cover personal injury which would be dealt with by the civil courts - if you knew who the other party was.

It still leaves the question of the actual legislation which, IMHO, really does not cover the number of cyclists on the roads - good and bad.

Richard

retrocomeback":z15e8nv6 said:
Indeed, that's if they were actually his parents and not his brother/sister such is the limited gene pool in those parts!

Millbrook Family Tree?

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Not too dissimilar FMJ, in fact you'd probably enjoy and understand a higher calibre of conversation with such inanimate objects :LOL:

In other news a former colleague of mine popped round this evening to collect the stills taken from the video, the hunt to ID the ignorant scrote who caused this chaos is on!

Being pragmatic about it I'm not too fussed how it turns out as I know the odds are not in my favour, but anything that forces the youth to be held accountable, either via the criminal courts or a civil case would be welcomed. Had the lad stopped and apologised rather than giving me a mouthful of abuse and wild accusations I'm quite sure it wouldn't have been necessary to involve anyone else at all.

I bet that they won't pay even after a court order, and they will have your address as part of the court proceedings. Sooner or later if they ride like that they will end up under one of the numerous car transporters or container trucks in the area, which will remove them from the gene pool.

I had a similar situation years ago when two lads on the way home from a burglary spree t-boned my car.

Unless things have changed significantly since I left the Police the victim (criminal court) or claimant (civil) are able to withhold personal details such as home address, though do correct me if I am indeed wrong on this. I'm not so worried about the costs I'm incurring, I would simply like this lad to be held to account for his reckless actions which could quite easily have killed someone (me).

Back