Anodising

02gf74":s94skoep said:
shot or sand blasting is too harsh on aluminium frames - i am not expert on this but soda blasting is kinder. some one can correct me but i understand that any type of blasting will leave a dull surface - not sure how well that wioll look when anodised.

Depends on the finish you want. Anodising after blasting will give a matt finish.
The shinier the finish, the brighter the anodising will be.
I have some cranks at home that are half blasted half polished, if I remember I'll post a picture later.

it's true that shot and bead blasting is harsh on aluminium, and not recomended, but that said, you can get away with using a shell medium for aluminium, to provide a good key for painting, a lot of the time it's down to the guy thats doing it, spend too much time on one area and you can wear the metal away..

yeah that's "hot mango" and very tough paint, underneath that you'll find some cool "easton" stamps on the tubing if you're lucky

I have one on the top tube of my other zaskar

The paint does seem hard, i think the bike was left outside for a number of years so it has lasted well! :shock:

What do you think of the bubbling? Do you think the metal will be in bad shape underneath?

Scrape the paint off and have a look, it's not holding on to anything anymore.
A rough sanding and nitromors will get you through other part you might want to look at.

pete_mcc":3fvgc0ef said:
Just remember that unlike paint anodising is not going to cover any imperfections so if the frame is scratched then the anodising will show that and often amplify if, if there is a rough patch then it will be an anodised rough patch after.

What ever time you think you need to spend on polishing, double it. Do a half arsed job on polishing and the anodising will look terrible.

Also remember that any ferrous metal will need to be removed - any rivnut bottle bosses etc as these react in the anodising tank

Truer words have never been spoken. :D

the oxidising(bubbling) doesn't have to be the end of the world, it depends how far it's gone and where it is on the frame. you could try and scrape the damaged paint off and go from there, ti's worth doing, it's a lovely frame

Took a knife to the worst area, the paint flaked off really easy. The oxidation is quite deep but i think it will flatten out with some fine paper and a polishing wheel.

What do you think?

It will still look a mess after anodising, but its not in the most noticeable area. I did a seatpost a few weeks ago that wasn't as bad, I'll try and find a picture of it.

Back