Educate me on the wonders of 29ers!

5635216521_fe8994b2b1.jpg

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... bbit-types

:p

I'm 5'5" so I guess that chucks out the rule book? I sold my 26er MTB a few years ago and at one point had 3 CX bikes - sold one CX bike, bought the Ritchey P29er frame and taken it from there. I just love the go-anywhere feel of the big-wheeler, I don't need to avoid ruts, roots or rocks.

monty dog":2ksntyc7 said:
I'm 5'5" so I guess that chucks out the rule book? I sold my 26er MTB a few years ago and at one point had 3 CX bikes - sold one CX bike, bought the Ritchey P29er frame and taken it from there. I just love the go-anywhere feel of the big-wheeler, I don't need to avoid ruts, roots or rocks.

Wow so a 29er frame size for you? 12"?

wookiee":wsgvapdo said:
on a serious note tho...smaller size frame for a 29er than a 26er?

Keep the top tube length roughly the same. For me that meant going down from a 24" 26er to a 21" 29er, but the Trek 29ers are very long for their sizing.

Joe of Loath":1eejgur6 said:
wookiee":1eejgur6 said:
on a serious note tho...smaller size frame for a 29er than a 26er?

Keep the top tube length roughly the same. For me that meant going down from a 24" 26er to a 21" 29er, but the Trek 29ers are very long for their sizing.

I meant more the frame size...currently find a 23.5-24" toptube suits me but given the extra 3" on the wheels would that equate to 1.5" smaller seat tube than a 26er?

Depends entirely on the manufacturer. I don't bother looking at seat tube length now, as I know what effective top tube I need.

Joe of Loath":3ijzoy11 said:
Depends entirely on the manufacturer. I don't bother looking at seat tube length now, as I know what effective top tube I need.

Yeah but surely a "ball park" frame size might help!

There's no such thing! I've had four mountain bikes in the past year or so. 24", 22", 21", 21". The longest top tube is on the 21", the shortest on the 22".

Your seat post slides, your top tube doesn't.

Joe of Loath":1j367o29 said:
There's no such thing! I've had four mountain bikes in the past year or so. 24", 22", 21", 21". The longest top tube is on the 21", the shortest on the 22".

Your seat post slides, your top tube doesn't.

True but my question was coming from a 26" world being used to about an 18"-19" centre to centre seat tube measurement should that be less for a 29er to compensate for the larger wheel?

Back