Raleigh Criterum Triathlon 12

andymuza

Dirt Disciple
Bought this off ebay for the huge sum of £34.01p.

Think the fact it was advertised as a Triumph helped me get it cheap.
It should have arrived on Tuesday but a certain courier did their best to loose it.

Any way two days later than planned, it arrived.

I took it out of the box to reveal original tyres, brake blocks, bar tape, in fact everything is original.
This bike has hardly been used.
I adjusted the seat and bars to suit me and I pumped up the tyres.
I then set about giving it the once over.

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

Mechanically every thing was 100% and worked as expected with nothing loose or making unwelcome noises.
Cosmetically it needs a good clean.

Spent around an hour or so giving the bike a clean so I could see what was under the dirt.

The frame is straight and has no dents or dings and the paint work is excellent with no scratches.
The wheels are true with no loose spokes. The wheels have a couple of small marks which a good clean should remove.
The bike needs new brake blocks and new tyres as the side walls have some cracks, to be expected due to there age.
The seat tube bolt is beyond cleaning due to rust so also needs to be replaced.

Overall though this bike has not seen a lot of use and I am very happy with it.

Used it to go to work on for the 12 mile round trip for the purpose of making sure everything worked mechanically.
Gears need a slight adjustment but other than that the bike was smooth and worked fantastic which I am glad about as it helped when I had to evade hitting car which had pulled out on me. The joys of being a cyclist.

Here's some more pics after a quick clean.

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

Will post more pics as I do more to the bike.

I had this exact bike and tarted it up with a few purple anno bits. Cranks are very flexy so I replaced mine with a set of 'spare' 105's. I used it to commute for years!

I used to have one a long time ago, love it. I plan on making some big improvement with age related products.

I bought it as my 12 year old wants to give cycling a go. So its a good way to get out with him.
TBH I think I will really get the bug back.

Nice bike!

Shimano Adamas Brake Levers if I'm not mistaken.... more often found on the Raleigh Pulsar and Quasar...

Decals required though... :D

MONTYBURNS56":18babph7 said:
That's a very nice winter/training bike for only £34 you jammy bugger! :D

Exactly what I thought bud. One on ebay now on a buy it now for £195. Few minor differences such as bar tape and saddle, and it has all it's decals.

Think £195 is a bit steep though.

MrW":2ht0vbd0 said:
Nice bike!

Shimano Adamas Brake Levers if I'm not mistaken.... more often found on the Raleigh Pulsar and Quasar...

Decals required though... :D

Yeah you're not wrong. Will be sourcing some in the next week or so.

So far I have rode about 90 miles on this bike since I got it and it has been glorious to ride.

The only changes I have made so fare are brake blocks, seat post and saddle.

I had to change the seat post and saddle as I had just bought my 12 year old son a Cannondal CAAD3. Unfortunately the seat post was that long it would not allow it to go any lower so swapped the seat post on the Raleigh for the Cannondale one. My son preferred the Selle Royal saddle to the Selle San Marco as he found it more comfortable so I left it on the seat post.

Will add more pics soon of the bike with the changes. I will also add some pics of my sons Cannondale which I got for a good price in the appropriate section.

andymuza":1ddfrefr said:
I used to have one a long time ago, love it. I plan on making some big improvement with age related products.

I bought it as my 12 year old wants to give cycling a go. So its a good way to get out with him.
TBH I think I will really get the bug back.

He must be a tall 12 yo! :D

;)

Memories, I had that exact bike when I was about 15, same size too!

Back