1994 (ish) period correct decent sus fork?

raidan73

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Still don't know much about sus forks so what would be a decent model to fit to a 1994 bike? Preferably one that is relatively easy to find would be a bonus :D

Andy R":20e3mz6c said:
Marzocchi XC400 or 500?

Thy were my first thought but I know anything about them and they don't seem to come up that often

May 10/21
Manitou 3
Marzocchi ....

Hang on, in the Archive the suspension review is 1994, have a read you'll get the models, through remember feel can be biased to their preference.

Easiest to find and find and keep working are the Rockshox MAGs, second for us Brits would be PACE as parts are still available.

The air/oil marzocchi 51/500 are not as common but like the Mags tend to work.

If you don't mind 95/96 forks you get into a different set of forks.

If you can stretch to 1997 then you have the Marzocchi Z 1. Streets ahead of anything that went before.

I have Marzocchi XC 500 on my litespeed obed fs.
Apart from limited travel they provide the forks are quite good and look real fine on the bike.

Awkward year for forks in terms of performance. Pretty much everything available lacked the lateral rigidity that Rock Shox Judy's offered the following year. But early Judy's weren't great internally.

Marzocchi 400/500 forks were plush with a good reliable action due to the open bath oil damping. But the spindly legs steered for you.

Same could be said for Rock Shox Mag21s and Quadra 10s. Although the Quadras had elastomers so not as good internally.

Manitou 3 fork was well rated at the time. Elastomers again though so perhaps difficult to find a decent set.

But for all round performance I'd opt for Pace RC35. Also good spares availability.

Back