90's Hybrid/Cross bike thread.

Tell me does this qualify. Just finished butchering.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,066
I am loving that Marin more every time I see it, a really nice build that should be a really nice ride.
Thanks guys for all replies guys, lets keep them coming.

Reviving this old thead with something on the theme... Just "accidentally" got a neglected looking Sausalito which I assumed to be a Bear Valley. When I got to see it, I realised that it had 700 wheels that were actually meant to be there. Basically I hadn't got the slightest clue what it was, but it seemed interesting - so brought it back anyhow...

20160323_073929_zpssveryv18.jpg

20160323_073835_zpsiltgifax.jpg

20160323_073815_zpslw9p8iox.jpg

20160323_073723_zpsckgbgvof.jpg

Not entirely sure what I'll do with it at this point. I guess removing the carrier rack might be a good start :roll:

looks to be a '91
MARIN_CATALOGUE_1991-2_SALS_zps68linrv7.jpg

Re:

Really liking the Marin, was what I was hoping to get instead of the bike piced at the beginning of thread.
Keep us posted on progress.

Re:

Thanks - the state its in is probably flattered by those photos, there is a quite a lot of work ahead. I'm now having one of those "why on earth did I start this..." moments.

20160323_073910_zpscimfdajc.jpg

I've Started to strip it back for some kind of resto - it had the most stuck stem I have ever seen - ever, nearly exhausting my entire supply of WD40 AND GT85 and brute force. Now that everything is apart, I can see F+F only are superficially rusted and the wheels just need lot of cleaning and relube.

Theres some surface rust popping up through the paint of the frame which kind of spoils the Zolatone. I'm actually thinking I might dust over the zolatone with grey Hammerite stonechip that I have brought in a big rattle can from Halfrauds yesteday, and tried a test area, and it is a VERY near match. I want to keep as much of the decals as I can - wondering if I might be able to mask the decals off to lightly dust some extra paint on.

Cue an experiment that could go very badly wrong.... I don't really think this is a bike that many would throw a lot of money at (lovely as a new set of retrodecals from Gill_m would be)

Re: Zolatone/Hammerite

I'd be really interested in seeing any pictures of the areas you have done with the Hammerite.

I think the Klein Adept is a great example of this genre! A hybrid bike as an idea is actually super nice but too bad their reputation is totally destroyed by what the vast majority of them look like...

adept93.jpg

Re: Zolatone/Hammerite

AH1F":2da2odzu said:
I'd be really interested in seeing any pictures of the areas you have done with the Hammerite.

Done this today.. and it's turned out VERY well, I can vouch for grey hammerite stonechip paint - massive improvement to the finish (and now it makes the decals look tatty instead of the paint).

I think I might have to consider starting a build thread as I don't want to be a threadjack and this is just turning into a saga.....

Now, where should that build thread go. MTB or Road??? :facepalm:

Re:

Close to finish my Basso hybrid. Wheelset is in the making. Maybe I'll do a recap in the road section.

Attachments

• SDIM12471.jpg
    SDIM12471.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 721
Back