1992 Marin Team Issue all original - keep or dump it.

Nahh give it to me its worthless junk! Ok I'll give you $50 for it! Hell no with that kinda of heritage get the ol girl back up to race form and enjoy! I'm sure there will be plenty of folk on here willing to help you bring it back to its former glory!...

...oh an welcome and I love Marins!

ha ha... maybe I did subconsciously come here to hear what I wanted to hear.

unfortunately I had a bad, jealous male roommate in 2006 who threw out my one and only box of memories I wanted to keep. I forgot about that number til you mentioned it.. it was in it (along with my dad's Marine strips, baseball someone proposed to me, class ring, first horse show ribbon, daughter favorite toy as a baby etc) - that would have been cool. I did Goodwill most of my jerseys and shorts in the day but kept one set of Marin ones (same as in the pic).

Those were good times. I had a Bottecchia ADR Team Replica in the old Lemond colors ( purple and neon yellow) and campy I won the District One state time trial on (at the time Northern Nevada and Northern CA) and a few years later my live in BF wasn't paying rent (found out after we were four months behind and I was giving my half to him).... so I sold it and the guy parted it out (crying). REGRET that!

Not trying to sound like a whiner.. but those are the things that happened. I have very few things from my past - this is probably the oldest and it's like family.

Obvious to me now... I came to find like minds. :) I want go get back into mountain biking and ride MY Marin... we had been talking about new ones... but no... wouldn't be the same.

Result :D

Welcome to the Hotel California....

So you're keeping the Marin and rightly so, that's the obvious bit. The real issue here is how to passify/keep sweet your husband. A couple of ideas:
IDEA1: As you're moving house and trying to shed some load, you could make a deal with him by volunteering to dump something else instead of the Marin, something you don't care about and could easily replace later (using his credit card).
IDEA2: Get on evilbay.com and grab a nice old Retrobike for him, many are cheap as chips but still great bikes. A Marin for example! Include him in your dreams of riding retro and it will be 'happy-ever-after'! He'll probably end up enthusiastically overhauling your bike for you!

Welcome to the family
So glad you are keeping the Marin I raced one too in Sport cat mine had mag 21 forks but I agree it was a sweet ride I remember you could flick the top tube with your finger and it rang like a bell.
The main problem with them these days is the nickel plate finish gets corroded It can be treated and re dipped though ,just don't get it sand blasted or you won't get a shiny finish it's all about the preparation prior to dipping, the tubes need polishing. Powder coated frames are ten a penny and the originality is everything especially for a race bike.

Tell him to get rid of some of his shoes and handbags- see how he likes it.

(Sorry - that reply was so wrong in so many ways - but just couldn't help.. my.. self)

It does ring like a bell! A nice "tiiiing!" - Good to know on prepping the plating. When I was racing I drug it a around little. I also did Cyclocross on it in United States Cycling Federation and got a State Silver medal.

In all fairness, he is pretty understanding and says "keep it if it means that much to you". We gave away most everything to move here from Arizona 5 years ago and before that I gave away almost everything so I am pretty lean on stuff (not to mention a bit cheap).

Here's an old pic from the mountains above Chico California and Forrest Ranch. I went mountain biking in unfamiliar territory that day alone with my camera. One the way back to my car I hit a dead end. I was lost! It got a little scarey for awhile and the trees and Forrest, once green and friendly, suddenly felt enormous, menacing and like it was suffocating me. Obviously we (bike and I) made it out ok. It was 1992 so I didn't have a GPS and no cell phone either. I don't think I told someone where I was going either. Smart, lol.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmcclureph ... 368357277/

Latest posts

Back