1991 Gt Karakoram Elite - Update on page 3

Now thems is some pics! Thanks for the detail! :cool:

I should wear my glasses more often and then I won't make a dork of myself. Well, ok...I won't make a dork of myself about parts that aren't there anyway. :D

(coulda sworn that was a flip flop on first glance! :cry: :oops: )

Still a darn cool matching frame/fork/stem. :cool:

Cool thread resurrection!

Love the paintjob (and pretty much all GT's from the era). It really looks the part.

Love the pictures - I had a '91 Karakoram with the red inferno splatter paint. Still the lovliest frame I've ever had.

:D

drystonepaul":3ice51is said:
otherself":3ice51is said:
What size frame is it and how tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

It's a 16" and I'm about 5' 11", so it's a tiny bit too small if I'm brutally honest with myself. I can gain comfort from the fact that 16" GT's tend to be a bit bigger than some other manufacturers.
I would normally go for an 18", however my Karakoram is still very nice to ride and very nice to look at.

I'm the same height and ride a 16" too. Sounds fickle but this size looks the best I think. Nice bike!

Re: 1991 Gt Karakoram Elite - 17 year reunion

Update:

I picked up an 18" frame from Spencer71 many months ago now. Swapped everything from the 16" frame, including the stem.
It now fits me much better than the smaller frame. The shorter than standard stem gives a much better riding position than the longer stem which would have come with an 18" frame.

My 'new' bike has been out a few times but I eventually took a few shots at the Retro National ride in the North York Moors this weekend.

RB_NYM-014.jpg

RB_NYM-013.jpg

22 years old now and it was great to ride.

Wondering how you found working with the old stem - I have got my hands on a 1992 Pantera. With the original stem probably rusted in place. Not sure if it's relevant but would you have any advice on getting it off. (So I can work on the headset either new bearings or replacement.)

Some photos of the aluminium stopper/bolt now rattling around between base of the Orange stem and the bottom of the steerer tube.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevermindt ... 824799740/

Again not sure if this is an area of your expertise but am guessing it might be someones:

1) Guessing my bike would have had a Deore LX rear derailleur. Anyway know this for sure?
2) The front brakes are V Brakes which means they can't be original parts as I think these kicked off in about 1996. The rear break is an EXAGE mountain caliper brake.
3) I bought this bike along with two others and a load of bent wheels and old parts for £20 locally. I suspect the Araya silver aluminium rims with quick release are the most likely original wheelset.

It seems that the only stuff I can find online about the bike indicates Suntour components but then some people mention Euro spec was Shimano and I think a lot of the LX parts on the bike were original. Sorry to bump your thread!

Back