SRAM ESP 9.0 mech.

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have one if these but don't know much about it.
There is a sticker that mentions the actuation ratio but its damaged so is it 1:2 or 1:2?!
Are they any good? It seems to be fully rebuildable as they've used bolts not rivets!

I've one of these as well...anything with ESP markings is 1:1 (I don't think that SRAM made a 1:2 mech). Therefore it won't work with any other indexed shifter except SRAM ESP versions as the cable pull will be all wrong. I'm running mine over 8 speeds with a XC Pro thumbie using friction and all is well. I would definitely say that it is very light but perhaps a little flimsy compared with say, a M737 XT version. Looks very cool though :)

Ok, thanks.
I've weighed it and it's 207 grams, which is inbetween the 9.0 and the 9.0 SL.
I think it's going to turn into a lightening project!

Being SRAMs early 1:1 actuation mechs it will be compatible with any SRAM 1:1 shifter, including grip-shifters and trigger types.
I have tried and tested this recently with some modern X-9 trigger shifters and a 16 year old ESP 9.0 rear mech.

Back in 1997, I upgraded to the early SRAM ESP 9.0 rear mech and 9.0 gripshift on my 95 Zaskar. It was a massive improvement over the Gripshift SRT 800 X-Ray shifters that I had fitted before them.
The 2:1 cable pull ratio was compatible with Shimano mechs but even with super clean and lubricated cables you needed the forearm strength of an arm wrestling champion gorilla to shift gears. You could forget about shifting completely in the wet unless you fitted the 'Shark Tooth' grips.

The ESP system still required reasonably clean cables, but meant you could easily make nice light action shifts. In short it was great.

I had ESP 9.0 on that bike with no issues for about five years, at which point my Zaskar was stolen.

I do now have another 1997 Zaskar frame and a complete ESP 9.0 set up. One day I'll get around to building it all up again.

Excellent, thanks for that.
I'll try and convert it to 2:1 when I get the time!
I can't decide whether to anodise it purple for the alpinestars or red and lighten it a lot for the Torus. I'll put it in the to-do box and see what happens!

drystonepaul":2eeay5dl said:
Rampage":2eeay5dl said:
I'll try and convert it to 2:1 when I get the time!
Why...?

Because...all my shifters are 2:1, it's a nice mech, it's easily to take apart, front and rear linkage plates are aluminium (can be anodised).
Hopefully it'll look as gaudy as a Paul's or Proshift rear mech when it's finished!

:)

Sorry, read your reply wrong!
Quite possibly!
I only like rapidfire or Suntour thumbies really.
The other way is to add a linkage somewhere along the cable run.

Back