Frankenbike. Woeful Brakes Aborted

Re: Frankenbike. It lives!

I have got lost on this thread and its sister thread. If i get a set of Tektro RL520's (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... a58e0c1a80) will they pull correctly with a sex of M565 V-brakes? or do I need to get a set of CX canti's. I would kind of like to use a set of Ultegra 6600 10 speed shifters maybe, what would work with these?

Sorry for all the questions and slight hijack of the thread, but my head hurts. :facepalm:

Check out the other thread rather than me try to sum it up but basically road levers + cantis just work. With cx cantis better. With v brakes no good.

I have road + cantis and they just work ok.

I like it, partial as I am to a bit of drop barred MTB madness. Full credit for sorting out the gears - couldn't be arsed when I built mine so went all singlespeed.

What does it ride like?

I like that, built something similar in the 90's I titled a 'Chaser' because trying to mix with the racers involved a lot of time at the back of the pack. Out climbed them though :D

Only had a shakedown so far. Will take it out off road and on this evening and report back. DIY at present :facepalm:

Gone for blue canti bridges from racer x and jag wire in line adjusters. Awaits.

I like it - well all except the adjustable stem. Still that's a reasonable approach until you decide if you like it. I was toying with doing something similar with my Zaskar, but I would use CaneCreek or Tektro long pull levers with v-brakes and bar end shifters. I don't think the Zaskar would suit it, but a classic ATB frame like your Marin is just perfect for the drop bar treatment IMHO.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your kind words. Agreed on the stem but all I had with some height that was in the shed. Will see if it suits and then try to replace it.

dirttorpedo":16eqybdb said:
I like it - well all except the adjustable stem. Still that's a reasonable approach until you decide if you like it. I was toying with doing something similar with my Zaskar, but I would use CaneCreek or Tektro long pull levers with v-brakes and bar end shifters. I don't think the Zaskar would suit it, but a classic ATB frame like your Marin is just perfect for the drop bar treatment IMHO.

Thanks for sharing.

LGF has built a drop bar Zaskar and it looked great. Try wider bars like the On-One Midge or similar.

THM; Look at SJS Cycles for high rise stems, they have their own Thorn brand for audax and touring cyclists.

Back