Koga FullPro-A & Aero Miyata

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
A while ago, as true passionate, I had the opportunity to visit the Koga Miyata factory in Heerenveen and check out their little museum. They had about 12 classics (less than me.... :roll: ), about 8 of them roadrace models & 4 touring bikes. I encountered really nice stuff overthere, for example one bike I hadn't seen before and showed a lot resemblance with the Aero Miyata. Too bad I had no camera with me :oops: ..BUT I already sourced the original catalogue pic & specs (thanks Henk ;) )

I thought I share it with you. 1st the 2 pics of the Koga Miyata FullPro-A and secondly 2 pics of the Aero Miyata:

FullProA2800.jpg

Way bigger => Click!

FullProA800.jpg

Way bigger => Click!

The 'A' in FullPro-A denotes Aero. This FullPro-A is of the 1985 modelyear.

Two Aero Miyata pics I ripped off a Japanese auction site:

AeroMiyata1.jpg

AeroMiyata2-1.jpg

Tubing is drop shaped, construction is fillet brazed and in case of the FullPro-A fully chromed. Cable routing goes through toptube, fork blades are superflat, very low profile seat bolt - all to minimize drag.

The Shimano's low drag Dura Ace AX groupset complements the frame really well. For example on the Dyna Drive pedals your feet are positioned approx 1.5cm below the axle. Miyata designed the frame around this concept. They positioned the rider lower on the bike for every size.

Some other nice AX features are brakes with cable routing through the middle and brake cables run hidden under bar tape... Go see it all here: www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982

Hi,

Not long ago I almost had the very rare oppertunity to get my hands on the above. Sadly missed it.

Okay, now it is only waiting for the next one popping up :roll:

..but please do not show too much mercy, I already have this one :D =>

Fullpro-L.jpg

From 1980 catalogue.

Pretty much alike the below one, but Peter (Winnen) is probably riding a 'regular' FullPro. The FullPro-L was a timetrail, short stage specific design.

Winnen.jpg

I had those parts in my first road bike, Motobecane.

Maybe the worst brakes ever, even worst than Delta´s.

You mean the Dura Ace AX brakes??

I have them in use on several bikes. They stop me well, but I am pretty light. I would fear to ride them in rainy conditions though. They are so Cool :cool: Also really appreciate the aesthetics, with their perfect symmetry. Same applies to the Deltas, but the AX are maybe a bit more subtle.

Biggest fear is actually how to get my hands on pads when they wear out :roll: If someone nows where to get them, give me a call.

Here 600AX brakes shown on a 1984 Koga Pro Am =>

468513980_16f65b10c8.jpg

Many years younger: Koga Miyata FullPro-Limited. Max tubing was shipped to Japan where Miyata made a neat frame out it. After that it was shipped back to Europe where Koga dropped it fully equipped with DA 7400 into the marketplace. 100 made. (you can work on your Dutch with this article ;) )

FullPro-Limited800w.jpg

FIETS #1 1993

i would love to ride a full pro equiped ax with aero levers
hope something will apear on my size and i will see how it is

Back