Fat Bikes go Mainstream

Makes more sense than trying to get everybody to buy into the daft 29`er stuff.

I would be tempted to try/use one of these but i have no interest at all in a 29`er.

Mainstream companies may be involved, but I don't think they will ever sell in great numbers because of the
limited terrain they a suitable for.

Only for people with a stable of several bikes - which is not common.

Expect to see loads on eBay in the future, as well.
When folk realise they've spent loads of cash on a novelty bike, that they hardly ever use.

@ceefax
Whilst I share your view a little if you are talking of the masses of city dwellers. Fat bikes offer the opportunity to explore a little more.

You don't have costly suspension to maintain (expensive tyres however) the bikes are simpler and more useable.
There are no bearings to really look after aside from hub and bb.

Without sounding like an evangelist dont knock it 'till you try it applies to their multi terrain ability, and overall comfort

Whilst I got my pugsley in 06 and I was sure it was a fad I bought up heaps of tyres because I was sure they would disappear. Not the case

Managed to squeeze some Surly Knard 3" tyres on my Ritchey P29er - particularly following the spell of dry weather, I was keen to see how they handled on really sandy conditions. Not quite the full float experience, but I had a lot more control in deep sand in comparison to 2.4" tyres. Grip was simply awesome (tubeless at 8psi) and you could simply rail singletrack - just lean those babies over and no worries about grip. At kilo each tyre, take a bit of effort to wind them up, but once up to speed they were unstoppable - no worries about roots and rocks either. Looking forward to getting my new frame with extra clearance - there's no way this is just a fad, been MTB'ing for over 20 years and this is the best fun bike I've ever ridden. Should be great as an all-day expedition bike too.

Back