1989 Saracen Kili Flyer (Comp) - finished

Gorgeous. :cool:

Nevadasmith: If you look in the 89/90 catalogue which is in the archive you can see the purple/pink was the Kili Flyer and the blue was the Kili Flyer Comp. Both were fillet brazed but the Flyer had Tange Prestige main triangle only while the Flyer comp was full Tange Prestige. The forks were different tubing between the two models as well.
Saracen did do the usual job of badging surplus frames up with 'special edition' for sale the following year, but the frames and colours did not change AFAIK. If it is a purple/pink (traffic pink I think is RAL colour name) and fillet brazed it is a Flyer.

Great job. Definitely needs a Saracen saddle or a Turbo to make it perfect.

Can you get a few close up shots of the frame details and components please?

drystonepaul":37wi9t22 said:
Great job. Definitely needs a Saracen saddle or a Turbo to make it perfect.

Can you get a few close up shots of the frame details and components please?

Yeah, this needs some new photos chap!

I need some help indentifying a Saracen which i`ve had since 1995 when I bought it second hand..... It is Flamboyant Ultra Violet color and the seat post clamp is built into the frame itself the only bikes they made that were that color seem to be the Traverse and Kili XTR but i`m using a 1993 catalogue as a reference... ant help would be great guys... I`m aiming to restore it over the Winter and I can`t start until I know what parts I will need to replace... I still have most of the original parts so using alternate parts would spoil the project... Even a few links to more Saracen catalogues would be a bonus... Thanks in advance guys!!

darkloud":389mdsxl said:
I need some help indentifying a Saracen which i`ve had since 1995 when I bought it second hand..... It is Flamboyant Ultra Violet color and the seat post clamp is built into the frame itself the only bikes they made that were that color seem to be the Traverse and Kili XTR but i`m using a 1993 catalogue as a reference... ant help would be great guys... I`m aiming to restore it over the Winter and I can`t start until I know what parts I will need to replace... I still have most of the original parts so using alternate parts would spoil the project... Even a few links to more Saracen catalogues would be a bonus... Thanks in advance guys!!

Welcome to the forum. There are people on here who can probably tell you what bike you have from your description, but I'm not one of them! Your best bet is to start your own thread in the readers bikes section and post some pictures. The link below takes you to the Saracen page of the archive section which has all the catalogues scanned. You'll get loads of good advice and tips for your restoration here :D

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/

Sounds like a 1994 kili. I had a kili comp like that but seperate seat clamp. Lovely bike. Whack up a pic but otherwise look at the 94 catalogue.

Oh, and start a new thread!

Thanks guys.... I`ll check the 94 catalogue.... I`ve got the 93 one already and a lot of the parts match but some just don`t... especially the color the ultraviolet color was only an option on two types... So I`ll check the 94 and I`ll take some shots of what I have in original parts for the project, perhaps some people might be able to help me source the bits I am missing with any luck... She`s been a great bike since I got her and twenty years later still weighs a lot less than my Scott even without the suspension forks!!! Saracen used to be such a great brand back then..... Now they make shitty jump bikes and compete with Apollos and awful bikes made out of pig iron... :-(
Also I`ll start a new thread once I`ve done a stock check of my parts with some pix...

coomber":2sfs2rfb said:
Sounds like a 1994 kili. I had a kili comp like that but seperate seat clamp. Lovely bike. Whack up a pic but otherwise look at the 94 catalogue.

WOW!! Coomber You were bang on the money with your guess..... I can`t believe you named it... Just looked in the catalogue (94) ... Kili Comp.... As soon as I saw the Paralax QR hubs and the crank/chainset with the same pedals I recognised it... However... mine has a few tiny differences... I have Araya rims and also my stem isn`t labelled as Ritchey, it says Saracen although it is in fact a Ritchey stem set same as in the catalogue... also the seat post clamp is built in... but I`ll take pics of it all and make a new thread... Thanks so much guys!! I really appreciate the input... :D :D

Also mine isn`t gripshift it has shimano deore LX I think...

The Kili was awesome on the Surrey Hills today. No need for any full suss nonsense :cool:

14806699718_22c1289d79_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back