Anyone ride sportives ?

I quite agree Ned. I got bawled out a couple of years ago in a sportive for stopping at the give way line on a blind junction. Plonkers.
If you want to race, get a licence rather than just play at it.

At least the local sportives keep me in spares - usually i ride the route a day or so later and pick up the bottles by the wayside and tubes with simple punctures draped on the hedges!

I think the Sportive scene is getting a pretty bad name.

I have done a few and seen some pretty poor riding and some people pretending it s a pseudo race.

That said I have done a couple of nice routes and the feed stations are helpful.

Generally I wouldn't bother with them ... if you want a race there are plenty of options; if you want a social ride join a club and go on the club runs.

I'm pretty sick of hearing from cycling friends who enter these bloody 'races'
and after they have whooped everyone's ass they say they are the fastest
greatest riders of all time! But when they actually do race in a proper race and
come against real time served fast lads they are blown out the back....lol

widowmaker":8o3aki1y said:
I think I may be changing my mind on these, I am looking for a cycling club instead.
That is a good choice.

I know of a few riders in our club who rode sportives and decided to get a licence
despite having no training quite a few novices have took many skilled riders down.

Sportives have had their day now and to me its just a big money making racket and needs to be banned.

Back