Is this the right room for an argument ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The G&OT issue is a bit of a red herring in my view. People can be offhand wherever they post.

It's still a fun place to go to, there are some popular stuff on Off Topic, such as Today's Ride, Word Association Thread and where would sinnerman put his bounty of images if there wasn't the A Bit Of Eye Candy thread :D

Alison

videojetman":1cdj4u63 said:
It has really amazed me lately that certain mods have been adding to the bones of contention in certain threads,
I thought moderators where there to set a good example.
I'm pretty sure those certain mods may have been kidding/sarcastic. They are people too, entitled to their opinion and have a right to express it.

Take the helmet debate for example :
Raging_Bulls":1cdj4u63 said:
Helmets are for people who can't ride.

There, I've said it. Bring out the torches and pitchforks. :twisted:
Was I kidding? Of course I was. If I was serious I wouldn't have used a smiley or mentioned the torches and pitchforks.
Did people take it seriously? Apparently some did.
Is that my problem? No, I don't consider myself responsible for people who take an obviously sarcastic comment and treat it like a serious one.
Should I refrain from making such posts? If I should, there's no point in being here because you're basically telling us that mods are not allowed to tell a joke or have an opinion.

If you are better suited for the job and have the time, just say the word and I'll resign to make room for you.

------

The History Man":1cdj4u63 said:
Not a pop at mr Bull but I see little sign of moderation in both senses of the word. Only on the 'another fatality' thread have recently seen intervention.
No worries. I know that I'm barely here nowadays.
Over-moderation is a bad thing anyway. Last year there were quite a few arguments in G&OT too, and as a result the moderators started to intervene sooner. Within days there was a topic about how grumpy they were.
Even when I have the time to browse every single topic, I tend to be lenient just to avoid such a discussion. Maybe I overdid it.
Basically as long as there are no personal insults, I'm tempted to let people debate and even argue.

as is well known but will mention anyway - the difficulty is that so much of communication is lost in pure text and so comments not meant to be so can be quite offensive and rude, and how people react is also very different, just as an example and cos just posted

Raging_Bulls":1u2016um said:
Take the helmet debate for example :
Raging_Bulls":1u2016um said:
Helmets are for people who can't ride.

There, I've said it. Bring out the torches and pitchforks. :twisted:
Was I kidding? Of course I was. If I was serious I wouldn't have used a smiley or mentioned the torches and pitchforks.
Did people take it seriously? Apparently some did.
Is that my problem? No, I don't consider myself responsible for people who take an obviously sarcastic comment and treat it like a serious one.
Should I refrain from making such posts? If I should, there's no point in being here because you're basically telling us that mods are not allowed to tell a joke or have an opinion.

in this case I for one did not appreciate that this was purely a joke, the smiley against comment re pitchforks etc just suggested the author knew it was controversial, to me at best unclear, the authors problem - well if a number of people didn't appreciate the joke then maybe not as obviously sarcastic as originally thought, but then its about bike helmets so was it such a big deal, probably not

Generally I think people on here are far better behaved than a number of forums I'm on and ones I've effectively left. Sadly some people genuinely try to be rude as they have a misplaced sense of humour, while others have genuine difficulties in gauging responses in others, another forum I'm actively on had quite a debate a while back on a member with Aspergers Syndrome, who was eventually banned from posting but only after a lot of leniency. The difficulty is that the anonymity brings out the worst in some people as said earlier, I can't find it but a while back one of the papers had an interesting piece on this comparing the internet behaviour to driving and queues and pushing in. People will think nothing of queue jumping in traffic jams quite blatantly being in wrong lane and barging in at the last minute but people wouldn't dare try it when on foot at the cash-point or supermarket for example.

ps and if I have inadvertently offended anyone on here then I apologize as that was not my intention.........

Bravo Raging_Bulls extremely well put. Personally think you are doing a great service since English is not your native tongue, and beside I love some direct no mincing in the face sarcastic humor. Shaking up and contributing to threads is not a bad thing; I'll say by far
the posts by all mods are usually the "better" ones.

Can we hijack this thread to have a Schrader vs Presta valve virtual world war? :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back