Magura HS info

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Well I'm taking the plunge into hydraulics (goes hand in hand with square and Alu frames)

I don't know anything about them and a search doesn't bring up much, nowt in the Archive etc..

Anyway,
Pads all the same?
How do you service them?
Any tweaking and tuning info?
Manuals?

Any timeline and model/edition info?
Why do they look so poorly made, I've seen 200GS made out of better stuff.

Things too look out for?
Paint match codes/colours?

Etc...

I've god some red 'tomac' ones with a flimsy dial on the front. It seem to do nothing. Is it bite point, pull ratio... (I'm purely wire/rim brakes)

All help welcome :)

There are a wide variety of pads for different tasks, but they all have the same snap-fit fixture.
Once set up, they need minimal servicing - wind back the adjusters, snap in new pads, ride, is all they need. I've run some for 10-12 years without bleeding, leaks or anything.
The red dial is the adjuster, turn it to adjust the amount of spare travel just like a cable adjuster really.

Bleeding is easy, best to add fluid at the bottom and fit the bleed hose at the top (helps bubbles rise).
There is little tweaking or tuning needed - they just work, out of the box and keep working!

There are all sorts of variants, colours and you can generally mix and match. Later (Evo 2) mounts are simpler than the early ones, but even the early ones with the taper fitting are fine with some elementary mechanical sympathy. You only ever set them up once, unlike post-mount cantis (which are also way more finicky to set up anyway).

I've got some funny brake studs in with them. Had a few turn up in boxes before and couldn't find a use for them. Guess Magura's must use them somewhere. Problem with no catalogues/manuals is Evo2 means nowt, blessing measms most but I assume it means still the oil in the tub through it. I assume a port I click into so I can inject it in and it squrts out the far end. Need to pull them all apart to repaint them, so could do with blow out diagrams in case I miss a washer or two.

I assume the two choddy silver things that stick out is to brace them on the inside of the forks.

Him, tyre wide ?

Funny lever, quick release? So possible used with the ball ended can't I stirs?

For 'cable' to get some mnicer colours and length if needed do I just get some Clark hydraulic cable kits.. Never touched disc like I said, other than to bodge one to stop it tapping on a disc. SO I assume it's all the same stuff.

I'm not thick and could work it out, just prefer not to spend time/money doing so.

I looked on there site but only latest 2013 modern stuuf and the forum had not too much, but they looked different, Google and this forum just brought pictures and not too much detail.

So though I'd hit the retros for retro detail ;)

That evo2 mount one seem to have much more and blow out diagrams than the 2013 they listed under their product guided.

If you say they are the same then cool.

Like I say I googled magura hs33 tomac and didn't get much and cvouildn't find a lot w.r.t. them.
Difference nbetween knowing what you are looking for and having to spend days finding what to look for. That why we have forums and I always help out if I can ;)
Glad to see its still working.
So what year are ,one then and any paint matches, decals?

Worth having a look at the accessories on tarty bikes if you need fitting bits. Tenner for the whole kit. I broke my magura hymen a month or do ago - followed hurriedly by a braided hose conversion for routing reasons.

Looking on tartybikes, all that for a tenner per wheel, not worth me respraying my steel braces and stuff. I can take my time on them.

Any hints on some silver braided hose (to match my Clark's gear cable) or some carbon effect I can also match up to.

Tartybike Q&A on their stuff is better than an shop site I've seen :eek: they actually take the time to help and explain it well.
Now just wish the levers didn't look like 200GS was quality, high grade stuff

Thank chopper - he pointed me at tartybikes.

As for braided hose I bought the no.0 kit from Hope as I wasn't sure what I needed - it had everything I did need to route 1 very convoluted front brake and quite a few leftovers. Not the cheapest option by a long chalk though.

Back