MTB MAPS SAT NAV via MOBILE PHOBE APP?

NAVIGATING FIELDS not ROADS!

Sounds like some useful suggestions, if any are of any use, to sat nav constantly directions LEFT/STRAIGHT ON/RIGHT, at offroad junctions, and to decipher where you are now on your map, is another matter!

Sounds so easy WHERE AM I? WHAT DIRECTION DO I GO IN?

Sounds simple doesn't it, to use an EXISTING MAP ROUTE to SAT NAV DIRECTIONS, using your WINDOWS/ANDROID/IPHONE.
And it sounds ever so simple to know WHERE you are in relation to your MAP? Look on your phone map, a field? Not very helpful.... is it.
Well LATITUDE and LONGTITUDE, it is technically possible to sat nav an existing MTB countryside offroad route, mind you available/existing maps might not be anywhere decent to ride! Anyway you don't want to be staring down at your handlebars all the time! After all you might hit a tree!

Since we've mostly talking about COUNTRYSIDE, most fields don't have SIGNS or ROAD MARKINGS, well apart from if FOOTPATH or BRIDLEPATH, and name of FIELD AREA, and nearby VILLAGES.

So I guess it sounds like a simple idea to know where you are and the right direction to follow, and guess majority of routes and offroad sat nav, are just useless, no good or just to aggravate, so maybe just goto the Moors or Dolby with paper map of known good MTB route, and start in the general direction of where route starts, whilst making a sat nav location note favourite in your phone or sat nav, of where you parked your car, so you can find it later!

Who knows you might actually find MTB routes, you think are great, and remember the way you went, for the next you go there!

Still MTB SAT NAV, might not be such a great idea at the moment UNTIL lots of great/existing MTB ROUTES are posted/uploaded, to keep you on track and stop going round in circles, I know a few routes like that! You don't realise how they interconnect to each other until you see an aerial overview map.

Currently the WEBSITE I use to TRACK WHERE I HAVE BEEN is http://www.mapmyride.com/my_home/ maybe they will DEVELOP another FEATURE to SAT NAV exisiting MTB MAPs. Perhaps this already possible by exporting MAP to another file type, for use with a website or PHONE APP. Is it? Think stewlewis will know this 1. MAPMYRIDE maps give the option for EXPORT to GPX or KML, then perhaps from this website it can be converted to an active sat nav map? http://codesector.com/maverick However even if Maverick does do that, whether it will work with my WINDOWS PHONE 7.5 Nokia Lumia 610 is another matter entirely!

Also the MAPMYRIDE 3D VIDEO option is not or any use, as speed of overview is car or plane speed.

I use memory map on my iPhone 4s as I already have all the maps n the desktop. I can upload the maps to the phone and check them whilst out and about, not navigation as such, but enough to see if you're in the right place. I use strava or motionx for tracking.

It is worth noting the effect on battery life. If it dies and you have no battery, you then have no phone if it goes pear shaped. I use a battery case from amazon which effectively doubles the battery life and removes any worries

+1 to Memory Map!

I use it on Android.
When I had my iPhone I used the app by Ordnance Survey - similar stuff.

Very accurate and the best maps you can get. Obviously not free... :cool:

srands":14c0d2km said:
MTB apps for MOBILE PHONES. Other then MAPMYRIDE that tracks where U have been onto a MAP. Surely there is an APP/website to SAT NAV a pre-RIDDEN MTB ROUTE?
Or at least to see WHERE I AM ON an a MAP of PRE-RIDDEN EXISTING MTB MAP ROUTE?

how to download it ?please share this apps downloading link.

I use my Garmin Edge 200 (I paid ~£70 when they were doing cashback on halfords sale) as an off road sat nav. The 200 has no maps in it so knows nothing of paths etc.

When creating offroad routes, the points you click are waypoints. The 200 will beep when approaching one of these and show an arrow to give direction to the next waypoint. You can load in other peoples tracklogs as routes although is struggles with too many waypoints for a given route, sometimes they need to be reduced.

The 200 battery lasts for days and days and is one of the best things I ever bought for biking! I have never found a decent "off road satnav" map for a mobile - plus there are battery life implications for a mobile when you are out all day.

I back this up with an android phone sleeping in my camelback loaded with the MMTRACKER app (I don't think this is in play store anymore, but is in alternative app stores) the phone has older memory map OS maps of the whole of the british isles loaded on SD card. so if I see an alternative that takes my fancy I can take it. Not as good as a real map given the tiny screen.

After looking at such APPs & WEBSITES for a while is there a MTB OFFROAD SAT NAV GPS ROUTEs & MAPs on a WINDOWS PHONE? via Latitude & Longitude

Tried all those recommended, few work with Windows Phone, those that do,
easily track YOUR RIDE,
FOLLOW your RIDE or OTHER PPL's rides is more complicated then SELECTING A MAP to follow.

www.mapmyride.com TOO COMPLICATED to follow YOUR RIDES & others.
www.strava.com ANDROID only
www.ridewithgps.com GARMIN only
www.bikeley.com IPHONE only
www.mapquest.com ROADs orientated NOT cycle tracks
http://codesector.com/maverick ANDROID only

Any of these do the job of following other ppl's rides?
ENDOMUNDO?
MotionX?
MY SPORT TRACKS, GOOGLE EARTH?
Memory Map?

I had a thought, Bing maps, being Microsoft shpould be integrated in the phone.

If it is then you can upload and GPS type formats using import or map your own routes. You certainly can on the web from the IE browser (chrome doesn't work so well) They also have OS maps.

I have a few up there.

Just a thought Ben, but what would an MTB OFFROAD SAT NAV looklike? Your current position, and the line you should be following? Think I'm looking something that doesn't exist, and may never be developed, because would be hard to follow OFFROAD, on the trail.
All this Export a map & sat nav from another website is a bit complicated & drawn out.
You'd think you'd just SELECT 1 of YOUR EXISTING MAPS or MAPS of OTHER PPL's RIDES, it should be that simple, however navigating from it OFFROAD is another matter, follow this line?

paininthe":l3826lbe said:
Have a look at http://www.opencyclemap.org/

Then if that works / looks Ok there is the mobile version to which you down load maps to your device, all free. I have used it all over including Spain and next week France

Android only afaik

OsnAnd

Those are STREET/ROAD MAPS, I meant OFFROAD SAT NAV!

Back