Double U Brake Saracen Trekker 1989

Half tempted with a respray. The rust needs touching up in so many places. Will see when stripped.

brocklanders023":16wu7qum said:
Dead Rats":16wu7qum said:
coomber":16wu7qum said:
Half tempted with a respray. The rust needs touching up in so many places. Will see when stripped.

one word:

No (way)

touch it up dude! :shock:

Agreed!!

It's your bike of course, but those old powdercoated Saracen frames are well worth preserving in their original colours! I love my '91 Sahara for it's wacky paintwork (which features a 'story' running around the seat tube!)

;)

lovely bike.

for some reason i keep getting drawn back to 1988-9 (should that be 1985!?)

An alternative to abrading the rust would be local treatment with bilt hamber De-ox ( a posh kurust gel ) which if done carefully will take it back to bare metal without damaging the paint around.

they have an electrox primer if you want to if you want to go the whole hog!

I'm doing the same on a courier comp (the lime green one) at the moment.

And

Thanks all. Will touch up first. My last re spray has put me off for life so it will be a very very very last resort. Currently stripping the bike really slowly as my 3 year old boy insists on helping do everything so can't even crack.on when he is asleep!

Finally getting around to touching up a few of the rusty bits. Kurust to bare metal, primer and then touching up as best I can. Wont look 100% perfect I'm sure but treats the surface rust and means I can get it built back up and ready to ride for another 20 years without worrying.

Might not show close up pictures if the colour isn't a great match but at least you get the idea of what I have been doing!

Paint touched up. Looks better than it did.

Reffiting a few parts, blooming hard work with no space as I am trying to pass on my gate sized Saracen limited edition which is taking up my only spare space. In the meantime, I decided to polish up the brake levers. I've had a few pairs now and the black paint finish on them is always really poor. Once more than a few chips start happening, they can look pretty awful quick.

Would get them anodized but it's too costly. Maybe one day. This is half way thorugh with a comparison of one untouched and one started. Wet and dry only, I will autosol to get them looking prestine.

Looking good, you must have a big of pot of elbow grease there mate :LOL:

I had a pair of DX Brake levers powder coated looked great and will last, Have a word with a local place and if your not in a rush they will do for cheap when the do a next black run of things ;)

Keep up the good work

Back