97 Explosif - what should I do...

jawa

Dirt Disciple
My much loved 17" 1997 Explosif is looking very tatty.

Should I attempt to get it repainted in the same bright goldy/yellow colour or should I go for a more subtle version?

I cannot decide and I am useless with colour ideas.

I am putting some P2's on it to replace the suspension that I don't need or really like. It currently has black stem/bar/seat post/mechs and would probably reuse all the black kit.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Black & gold very nice & classy defo stay as close to the original as possible

Unless you spend a fortune you won't be able to recreate that wonderful lustre colour. And getting the decals is harder than you think. IMO I'd keep it as is but it's your bike so you can do what you want! I bloody love mine!

I have posted this question about my 95 Kona Explosif and seen many other people ask the same about their bikes. You have 3 options. Keep it original. Restore back to origanal colour and spec using replacement parts and colours. Or build it how you would have done BITD, your dream bike. I choose the 3rd option and ended up with a bike I love even more , it has reignited my interest in MTB happy days

You can probably approximate the colour with some sparkly gold powdercoat - plan a trip to a cycle friendly powdercoaters to have a gander at their samples.

I'd go for a black frame/forks with gold decals, and while I'm at it I'd look to replace all of the bolts for gold anodised ones too.

secret_squirrel":17dknbpf said:
You can probably approximate the colour with some sparkly gold powdercoat - plan a trip to a cycle friendly powdercoaters to have a gander at their samples.

You could but it wouldn't look anywhere near as good as the original that has a depth to it, with an almost every-so-slightly burnt orange tint to it (depending on the light).

Barneyballbags":jd7x8ou6 said:
I'd go for a black frame/forks with gold decals, and while I'm at it I'd look to replace all of the bolts for gold anodised ones too.

Hello, Yes? ;)

Now sprting matching Black P2's with custom gold waterslide decals, Easton C2 bars, again, custom waterslide Easton decals, and ano gold Ti stem bolts

G

Back