Is this the right room for an argument ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Is the the right room for an argument ?

The recent helmet debate thread is typical of what it's like
Here lately, a lot of people just provoking & judging.
Playful banter is always acceptable until it escalates into personal attacks.

We_are_Stevo":1yuzc4ch said:
Is that a euphemism? :shock:

No a metaphor ;)

Just been for a lie down in a dark room. Better now.

argument thread, yeah you're right to a point, i have noticed that over the years as the forum has grown there have been a few more argumentative threads, usually they fizz out to nothing and previously i didn't really care as i stayed out of G+OT most of the time as it doesn't really interest me, i don't care what your politics/religion/blah blah blah are, since being asked to be a mod i have got G+OT as part of my section along with Raging Bulls, it's a thankless task and some people reveal too much of themselves.

let me tell you it's frustrating to see adults talk so much rubbish at each other aswel, some times i think that people i know and have met need a good slap to wake them up, everyone knows what is considered acceptable to say or write and sometimes if they can't write anything sensible or polite should simply not post but the inner troll comes out.

i don't like modding peoples threads, no one here i think is an outright arse but there are people who follow other people and look for an opportunity to point out a flaw in an argument or pick at their bike build.

it's sad, and i hate it.

sometimes i wish the G+OT didn't exist, if every thread was about bikes and there was no room for religion/politics etc i think it would be an even happier place.

my 2p

jonnyboy666":1eopu68u said:
let me tell you it's frustrating to see adults talk so much rubbish at each other aswel, some times i think that people i know and have met need a good slap to wake them up, everyone knows what is considered acceptable to say or write and sometimes if they can't write anything sensible or polite should simply not post but the inner troll comes out.

It's all down to the relative anonymity of the interweb though, isn't it? Unless members have met in person (on a ride or whatever) then we are all just that - pretty anonymous. And how much easier is it to be scathing, hypercritical or just downright abusive to someone that you've never met, probably never will meet and that you couldn't even pick out in a room full of people?
I tend to limit my comments to those that I would be willing to make if I was standing face-to-face with someone. I don't think that I've ever been guilty of doing otherwise.
But then I don't hide behind some anonoymous pseudonym, (I'm too old for all that anyway) and that makes it a lot easier to keep things in perspective - when I make a comment it's attributable to me, Andy R, not "Gamo to kefali mou" or anything else that I could use....

JB, thing is that sometimes it's hard to place a subject that actually is bike-related. I'm thinking about the thread regarding Sheldon Brown's birthday a week or so ago.
That's neither ->97, road or 98+, but it would fit the "general" description.
Then there's threads about discomforts when riding (painful wrists, ankles etc), about food, drinks or nutrition in general, on vegetarianism and its effect on biking, ... or even Emma Way.
They all belong on this forum, but you just can't stick them in the regular sections.

As for the true "off topic" stuff, that's a tough call. It has produced some interesting threads, but most of it is rubbish indeed.
IMO if you are in the market for a new cellphone, you need to go to a cellphone-related forum. Those people actually compare them, so you'll get much better info.
If you want to discuss politics, a political forum might be the best place for that.
If you want to post pictures of cats ... well ... I'll make an exception for that.

There's plenty of interesting things to post in G&OT, but some people seem to think that we should only discuss the pope, global warming or their neighborhood/pets/children/thoughts there instead. Neither of those belong here.

Andy R":20quv6ww said:
when I make a comment it's attributable to me, Andy R, not "Gamo to kefali mou" or anything else that I could use....
You are SO lucky I can't edit user titles. That "Retro Guru" of yours would be "aka. Gamo to Kefali Mou" now. :twisted:

It's a cliche but clichés become clichés often because they're true. If you can't say something nice....

Aah well. Extended rant over. Will still point out the rudeness though.

Re: Is the the right place for an argument ?

NeilM":3useg3gn said:
Tongue in cheek ribbing is fine between members who understand one anothers sense of humour, but there are at least two members who I now actively avoid, wherever they post.

I know how you feel. There's one member in particular who I try not to engage with as he just seems like a bit of a know-it-all, "been there done that" kind of person.

Apart from that, I love the forum :D

I know what I know, and know what I don't. This is a great place for altering that. Shame that some seem to resent rather than reduce my ignorance. Thankfully a minority but it really irks me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back