Saracen Special Edition 91 (??)

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
I've just picked this up as a potential project, but needing some of the parts so with a plan b that it could be a donor bike.

I can find web references to 'limited edition' - and there was one in 91 - all black. This appears to have the guards red stem and forks from the (from memory) traverse but I'm not sure about the frame - internally routed rear brake cable, no pierced top/seat tube intersection. It's quite heavy.

Its got dx hubs and mechs and black cranks, wolber/saracen rims, no rust on spokes (hurrah!), pizzazz bars and ends, levers/shifters not original, farmer johns.

Unfortunately the seat post won't budge (haven't tried that hard but there's lots of it in the tube) and given the weight I'll probably just take the parts I can use and sell the rest. But I'd be interested to know more before deciding.

Pics to follow in a minute.

DSC_0631_zpsc6590ac0.jpg

DSC_0632_zps5d33fda3.jpg

DSC_0633_zps8073948f.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y420/
nellupeoj/DSC_0634_zpscaa70762.jpg
DSC_0630_zps7cefa7b2.jpg

DSC_0637_zpsfe074e75.jpg

DSC_0636_zps21873b9d.jpg

DSC_0635_zps1b0059c4.jpg

DX cantis too, so pretty well specced - but perhaps just to get rid of some less good frames??

The bike needs a really good clean and it looks like its spent most of its life having stuff dumped in top of it. But it also looks like it's seen very little use :)

It took me a while to figure out what's wrong with thefarmer johns - some genius has painted the amberwalls black!

They quite often knocked out the previous years old stock as 'special addition' so that would point towards a 89/90 frame. Maybe a Tufftrax or Traverse?

Cheers Coomber! If I can't easily shift the seatpost the frame (with stuck post) might be going out karma. Feel free to dibs but be warned I'm extremely slow with bike stuff...

Brocklanders looking at the 90 catalogue it does look like it might be a tufftrax frame - nothing else seems to fit - just surprising it's got kit from several levels up the range. Anyone got a 90 tufftrax for a detailed comparison?

Try soaking in plus gas for a few days (or any penetrating oil) before attempting seat post removal

Back