Before I pick up the hacksaw...

russ77

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
So I want to try some new forks on my Bontrager Race. The original Switchblades are too flexy for my fat ass. I've tried my old Pace RC35s but didn't think there was enough travel there. Then I broke my RC36s. Got some Project 2s but now my wrists hurt.

Next I got some very modern forks. Marzocchi MX Pros from about 2005. I'm worried they might be a bit much though. I'll try tightening them up tomorrow so I don't have to cut the steerer down yet. It's about 50mm too long. Looking forward to a blast in the sunshine tomorrow afternoon.

Any thoughts? It would be a shame to have ruined the handling, which was spot on.

Before
BEFORE.jpg

After
AFTER.jpg

Looking at the angle of the chain stays I'd say you were within the limits of the frame geometry, but you really need a shorter stem with that fork...

i believe in fixies":1vvoban6 said:
How much do the forks sag when you sit yo big fat ass on it?

Ha ha! I'll have a look tomorrow. Need to work out how to adjust them properly too.

We_are_Stevo":uongyfw8 said:
Looking at the angle of the chain stays I'd say you were within the limits of the frame geometry, but you really need a shorter stem with that fork...

It's touch and go, right? I agree on the stem. Can't find any nice short 1" ones apart from an old Syncros one I have. The sloping top cap on that means I'd need to cut the steerer down for sure. Might go for a shim and a 1.125" one instead.

Run some spacers on the excess steerer to begin with. Then, if you dont like it, you arent limiting your market when selling them on to people with teeny tiny frames. If You like it, then cut it later. Spacers can be had for cheap on ebay and the like. I have an entirely uncut steerer on my saracen with spacers under and over the stem. If I ever sell them there isnt a bike in the land they wouldnt fit and no, before you ask, it doesnt look mad, it has a 150mm heatube to begin with!.

Back